What a brew day! Not!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neon0107

Reaction score
Man, it was one of those kind of days! So this is only my second brew day with some new equipment (pump, conical, glycol chiller). I had a good brew day Sunday and felt confident going in. First 15 mins of the mash was fine then temp dropped to 142 from 150, got it back up quick and then dropped a bit 10 mins later. I have not had to turn the gas back on and stir this many times. Blame it on the weather, it was very windy today. Flame would sometimes go out during the boil too. After mash took awhile to get to boiling. At the 15 min mark, last hops with immersion chiller went in. Always knocks the boiling down for a bit so thought nothing of it, then noticed it was not coming back up. Gas was out! Grabbed the back up and got it going for the last 5 mins. Then hooked up the hoses to the pump and clipped the hose inside top of the kettle to do some small whirl pooling. Clamp came off and wort shooting up! Got it re connected. Then hooked up hoses for the immersion chiller and turned it on, 2 mins in and the exiting hose blew, water everywhere! got the hose off and just let it shoot down the driveway. Got the temp down to just under 100. That is when I usually fill the fermenter (conical or brew bucket) and hook up to chiller and drop to pitching temps. Got the wort in and put in my Tilt so I didn’t forget it and then pitched the yeast!!! Crap!!!! Quickly got it put on the glycol and down to 68 in 20 mins. Oh and a couple of times pulled the hoses and forgot to close the ball valve!!

So now we wait and see how this comes out. New recipe so just a 2 1/2 gallon batch. Wanted to know, what can I expect from pitch to high even though I got it down pretty quick? I guess if there is anything good, I over pitched because used a full pack of US-05 for this small batch.

Here is to better brew days!!!

100 degrees is high, it could have killed off some yeast. Pitching hot then cooling probably stressed the yeast as well. Hopefully you aerated, if not, this will be harder on the yeast.

I would expect a long lag time, but ultimately I think it will kick off and ferment. How the beer turns out I can’t say. Curious to see hear what you end up with.

Edit: aerating isn’t as important with the dry yeast. If you skipped it, it probably won’t be an issue.

Last edited:
If you used an entire 11 gram sachet of US-05 for a 2.5 gal batch, you’re probably fine even if 50-60% of the yeast died (maybe more if this is below 1.060)

If truly at 100 and not much above the only problem was the temperature difference between what the yeast was and the wort. The yeast would love the temperature, but could produce off flavors.

If you got the temperature down quickly, before fermentation started, I doubt you will have a problem.

It seems that most of the problems were due to not having your equipment set up properly. Go over all your equipment and make sure all the connections are secure. Brew on.

Not sure, but 100F might have done yeast in, especially with the cooling after pitch. I'd re pitch if it does not get going soon. 0-5 usually takes off pretty fast, so you should know if OK within 12-20 hrs.

Not sure, but 100F might have done yeast in, especially with the cooling after pitch. I'd re pitch if it does not get going soon. 0-5 usually takes off pretty fast, so you should know if OK within 12-20 hrs.

100F is not high enough to kill the yeast. In fact some directions for hydrating dry yeast CALL for 100F. Shock and resulting off flavors is a possibility. I would expect the fermentation will start quickly, unless cooling it was fast or got too cool.

100F is not high enough to kill the yeast. In fact some directions for hydrating dry yeast CALL for 100F. Shock and resulting off flavors is a possibility. I would expect the fermentation will start quickly, unless cooling it was fast or got too cool.

Maybe in theory, but I had a yeast die off when accidentally I ran a keg up to 95F during a D rest. (temp probe mix up). Waited several days with no change in gravity, re pitched dry yeast at correct temp and fermentation re commenced.

My main point to OP however, was to just repitch if nothing started after a day.

And I know 100F is not the hydration temp called for with US-05.

Maybe in theory, but I had a yeast die off when accidentally I ran a keg up to 95F during a D rest. (temp probe mix up). Waited several days with no change in gravity, re pitched dry yeast at correct temp and fermentation re commenced.

My main point to OP however, was to just repitch if nothing started after a day.

And I know 100F is not the hydration temp cal0led for with US-05.

I doubt seriously that 95F is what caused your problems.

And I know that US-05 doesn't call for 100. Some yeasts do. Fermentis doesn't even recommend rehydrating any more. But this is still on their site: " Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 25 to 29°C (77°F to 84°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes."

The most quoted temperature that I have seen for killing yeast is 140F or above.

Who knows?, the keg that stayed at 64F kept working, the 95F keg had to be re pitched.

I doubt seriously that 95F is what caused your problems.

And I know that US-05 doesn't call for 100. Some yeasts do. Fermentis doesn't even recommend rehydrating any more. But this is still on their site: " Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 25 to 29°C (77°F to 84°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes."

The most quoted temperature that I have seen for killing yeast is 140F or above.

Thanks for all the info. As of today it looks like it has started to ferment. I see bubbles in the airlock and my Tilt is showing gravity has already dropped 5 points. I will let it ride and see how it goes.

And yes, definitely working on equipment setup. Now have cam locks on everything, so that should help with my hose issues. Lol

Back