Wet Hop Smash Recipe Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotebeth

Reaction score
Hello friends!
I just harvested my cascade hops and would love to make a SMaSH. I've been looking online for recipes and trying to figure out how to convert them for my hops I have in hand. Here is what I have come up with, please let me know if you think this will work?

Cascade SMaSH! – Extract Recipe Taken from Kegerator Learning Center: Everything You Want To Know About Beer

Ingredients
  • 5.4 lbs Pale Dry Malt Extract
  • 5 ounce of Fresh Cascade Hops for 60 minutes
  • 2.5 ounces of Fresh Cascade Hops for 30 minutes
  • 2.5 ounces of Fresh Cascade Hops for 15 minutes
  • 2.5 ounces of Fresh Cascade Hops for 1 minute (flameout)
  • 2.5 ounces of Fresh Cascade Hops dry-hopped for 7-14 days
  • 1 tsp Irish Moss
  • US-05 SafAle yeast by Fermentis, Wyeast 1056, or White Labs WLP001
Procedure:
Heat 5g water to 170° and stir in malt extract until completely dissolved. Bring to a boil.

Add first hop addition and start timer. After 30 minutes, add second addition. After 15 more minutes, add third hop addition and the Irish moss. As you turn off your heat, stir in your final hop addition. Whirlpool, chill to 68° F, and rack to your fermenter.

Pitch yeast and ferment at 68° for 7-10 days or until fermentation is complete. Rack to secondary fermenter with .5 ounces of dry-hops. Let rest for 7-14 days at 68° F and bottle.

I changed the ammount of hops to 5x what was suggested as I keep reading you want 4-6 times wet hop over dry. So I split the difference.

Thank you!

assuming this for a 5 gallon batch?

yea, you want 4 times or so more for wet hops but there's no way to know the alpha acid % unless you get it tested. For this reason I always just use store bought hops for bittering so I know exactly how much to use.

Putting, lets say, 2.5 oz of store bought cascade hops (based off of 7% aa and using just 2x as much method) as a 60 min addition will give you ~60 IBU's in a ~1.040 beer with only 5.4 lbs of dme. It will be a little bitter for style if you're doing a 5 gallon batch and that's not counting your 30 minute addition.

If I were you, I'd get some store bought cascade hops and use them for bittering. A 1.040 pale ale is fine with 30-40 IBU's then use your homegrown hops later in the boil and whirlpool for aroma and flavor. That's what you're going for anyway with homegrown hops! Good luck.

Latest posts

Back