Water Quality Report (help me read this)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerPrime

Reaction score
I'd like to get more into water chemistry and how it effects my brews.

I googled my city water quality report, and found a chart that is a bit confusing to read. Here is a link to the report (let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll try an image):
https://www.fountainvalley.org/DocumentCenter/View/7627/2018-Water-Quality-Report?bidId=

Does anyone know how to read the provided chart? What is the difference between Avg. Groundwater amount and Avg. Imported MWD Amount? Which number do I go with when determining what exactly my local water has?

Thanks!

Avg. MWD means average Metropolitan Water District, and Avg. Groundwater means averaged from a series of wells. So it is always going to be a "blended source" water, and on any given day you will not know what its analyticals are going to be.

For best results, I would get a sample from your tap and send it somewhere to get tested. As the water travels through the pipe system it can change, from my understanding.

I got my report done from ward labs.

For best results, I would get a sample from your tap and send it somewhere to get tested. As the water travels through the pipe system it can change, from my understanding.

I got my report done from ward labs.

Unfortunately, this is a waste of money if it is coming from a blend of multiple sources.

Unfortunately, this is a waste of money if it is coming from a blend of multiple sources.
Could you explain? Would it not give you a better idea of what is coming through your faucet? I am still working on figuring out the water side as well, so I have to ask.

Ahh I get it now. So, because the water is blended, the variables should be different on a day-to-day bases based on how it's being mixed.

With that being known, how the hell am I expected to build a water profile?

Would I be able to use distilled water and add the elements needed?

Thanks again!

Could you explain? Would it not give you a better idea of what is coming through your faucet? I am still working on figuring out the water side as well, so I have to ask.

Lets guess that it is a blend of 6 wells and 2 imported metropolitan water district sources, and on any day they will be tapping from 4 of the possible 8 sources. If all of the sources analyticals are different, what analyticals do you have at the current moment, if all you know is that an average of all 8 sources is typically XYZ? This is the case for the OP. Your case may be a single source.

Interesting thread, thanks for the info.

My tap water comes from 5 different sources. I've never done a water report but looking at other reports in my area (available on the database at brewer's friend), they all look somewhat similar.

I mainly use RO water, but I do use tap water for dark beers like stouts when I don't have to offset the alkalinity. Something you might consider.

Cheers

If the sources vary by ~5ppm in a given direction, not a big deal. If they vary by ~50ppm, then a much bigger deal.

The problem is that an analysis out of the tap is a single blend of the available supply. And no way to know if your water is the same tomorrow.

In my area water is single source for most areas (a few get a blend from two treatnent plants but even then they're not horrendously off). But even seasonal variance enough to make a single Ward Labs report unreliable for year-round brewing.

RO is certainly one option. Another option is to buy one of the water testing kits out there, and test it every time you brew.

Latest posts

Back