Water profile help after moving areas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagath

Reaction score
I've recently moved areas half way across the country, and went from incredible near-spring water to some crazy stuff and need help dialling it in.

Starting Water Profile:
Ca: 64
Mg: 10
Na: 20
SO4: 95
Cl: 6
HCO3: 138
Alkalinity: 113
PH: 7.7

I've gone out and purchased 85% Phosphoric acid, because my research tells me this is the best way to deal with this water profile (nuking the bicarbs) without just resorting to RO (expensive in the long run).

My first attempt was a Kolsch-style, which in retrospect was a poor choice, I know, as I should have went with something a lot more forgiving. I havnt sampled it yet, but my notes tell me that the sample mash PH was about 5.6, even though I followed Bru'N's water adjustments...(and yes, the Ph meter was calibrated).

Currently I plugged in to Bru'n a SNPA clone (4.1kg 2 Row, 0.41kg 40L) and I'm adding 1.6g CaCl (to get close to yellow balanced), and 2.4mL PH down 85% to reach 5.3pH.
I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong after the Kolsch-style appears to have went sideways on me. To compound that factor I inputed the numbers in to BeerSmith and it reported 5mL of PH Down...

Any advice to what (if anything) I might be doing wrong?

I assume the first Cl in your listing is actually the Na content??? That water isn't that bad, but neutralizing the alkalinity is required for most brewing. That alkalinity isn't really high enough to prevent using lactic acid and I suggest that lactic is the preferred option when brewing any continental beer style. The high sulfate content may necessitate diluting that water for some styles.

I assume the first Cl in your listing is actually the Na content??? That water isn't that bad, but neutralizing the alkalinity is required for most brewing. That alkalinity isn't really high enough to prevent using lactic acid and I suggest that lactic is the preferred option when brewing any continental beer style. The high sulfate content may necessitate diluting that water for some styles.

Oops. Good catch, fixed!

Lactic acid vs Ph Down is good to know, but what about the fact that my Ph didnt come out as Bru'n suggested or that BeerSmith recommends twice the amount of acid addition? That would indicate an error somewhere, no?

Back