Visitors Guide: Minneapolis/St. Paul (MN)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey y'all, I'm heading to Minneapolis next Thursday for work. I don't really have to do **** until Friday so I was planning on brewery hopping. Staying downtown and trying to do uber/light rail.

I've been to Surly before and dug it, but was hoping to check out new spots. Barrel Theory is really the only thing I am dead set on hitting. Hazy IPAs, pilsners, saisons, and ciders are mainly what I'm after.

If anyone wants to touch tips/bottle share/etc... let me know. I may also have some free time on Fri/Sat night, but not sure yet.
Barrel Theory is a must-try and light rail makes it easy. A lot of local beer traders hang out there, kind of a headquarters. Tim is one of the brewers, he's super cool, everyone else who works there is great, just a great spot to hang out.

Town Hall is easy to get to from anywhere in downtown, it's a short Uber,train stop nearby, and you can bikeshare/walk depending on where you're staying. They'll probably have something barrel aged on and they make excellent hoppy stuff and also do solid pils, Marzen, helles, wee heavy, porters, etc.

Fulton and Modist over in the North Loop are also good close stops. Modist has a very good hazy IPA, Dreamyard, and everything else they do is interesting and different.

Fulton has solid hops, and some barrel aged stuff if you're lucky, and they do a few saison/farmhouse beers. They have a vintage bottle list, BA Libertine is kind of like a lighter barleywine, really good barrel character. They also have BA saisons/farmhouse on that list from what I remember.

Wild Mind is very good, not as close but worth a visit and pretty close to my house.

I think I'll be pretty free if you want to hang out.

I was in TC for work this summer, though we stayed out in the burbs.

I really enjoyed Wild Mind Ales - great setting, they had many AWAs (I know, not on your list), but also at least several saisons, and one pilsner/one hazy IPA.

Their main site seems to be having trouble right now, but I bet some of the pics here will seal the deal:
https://twitter.com/wildmindales?lang=en

Looks like about a 15 minute ride from downtown (I don't know if rail goes anywhere near).

Barrel Theory was indeed excellent too.

Barrel Theory is a must-try and light rail makes it easy. A lot of local beer traders hang out there, kind of a headquarters. Tim is one of the brewers, he's super cool, everyone else who works there is great, just a great spot to hang out.

Town Hall is easy to get to from anywhere in downtown, it's a short Uber,train stop nearby, and you can bikeshare/walk depending on where you're staying. They'll probably have something barrel aged on and they make excellent hoppy stuff and also do solid pils, Marzen, helles, wee heavy, porters, etc.

Fulton and Modist over in the North Loop are also good close stops. Modist has a very good hazy IPA, Dreamyard, and everything else they do is interesting and different.

Fulton has solid hops, and some barrel aged stuff if you're lucky, and they do a few saison/farmhouse beers. They have a vintage bottle list, BA Libertine is kind of like a lighter barleywine, really good barrel character. They also have BA saisons/farmhouse on that list from what I remember.

Wild Mind is very good, not as close but worth a visit and pretty close to my house.

I think I'll be pretty free if you want to hang out.

Thanks guys!

Wild Mind Ales looks awesome...hell just the taproom design alone is killer. Hopefully I can uber down there.

Modist/Fulton look like a great duo as well. My hotel is kinda in-between them and Town Hall, so if the weather holds up, I can walk it.

I have Thursday and Friday off wuntrikpony. Down to be your chauffeur/tour guide of you so choose. Guessing sacrelicio and a few others (Minnesotaryan Sender1) would be down to grab a few.

Apc34v2.gif

Hell of an offer, let's do it!

And yes...the more the merrier...

I have Thursday and Friday off wuntrikpony. Down to be your chauffeur/tour guide of you so choose. Guessing sacrelicio and a few others (Minnesotaryan Sender1) would be down to grab a few.

I didn't want to offer your services, but, I can vouch... Dbijnagte is a great tour guide and a local through-and-through.

I haven't ticked too terribly many TBers, but I've been lucky enough to hang with both of youse.

Don't compare notes, I'm sure both of those days were eminently forgettable. "Kind of a bland guy, don't you think?"

Have fun all!

Back home after an exhausting weekend of work and I really want to thank Dbijnagte and sacrelicio for an awesome time! Minnesotans are just too damn nice. Had a blast hanging out with y'all and can't wait to get back.

So many good beers...Wild Mind and Barrel Theory are must stops for anyone coming to town. Make sure you get some Lupulin Hooey cans as well.

Dietrich/Justin - Holler anytime you need some fresh hops or anything else from my neck of the woods.

You guys know each other, right? If Lindsey goes without me can she Uber home with you Justin?
Do not know Nivek.

And yes, Lindsey can definitely Uber with me, unless I bike, which I might, but I might not. I know that's not terribly helpful.

I'll be in Minneapolis this week. I'll be staying downtown (near US Bank Stadium). What breweries would yall recommend I visit during my time here? Preferably places easily accessible via Light Rail, or a not too expensive uber/lyft ride. I'm not too picky about styles, lean towards IPA's and sours/farmhouse, but am certainly open for suggestions.

I'll be in Minneapolis this week. I'll be staying downtown (near US Bank Stadium). What breweries would yall recommend I visit during my time here? Preferably places easily accessible via Light Rail, or a not too expensive uber/lyft ride. I'm not too picky about styles, lean towards IPA's and sours/farmhouse, but am certainly open for suggestions.
Over in North Loop is Modist and Fulton, both worth visiting. Modist is all about the hazy hops and flavored stouts, with a few other styles, I think they have a fruited sour or two. Fulton I'd say is pretty standard, but solid and diverse enough, IPAs to saisons to lagers to stouts. North Loop is an easy light rail trip or bikeshare trip, or a long walk.

If you want to venture out of downtown, I'd take the Green Line, stop at Surly and then head on to downtown St. Paul to check out Barrel Theory.

Over in North Loop is Modist and Fulton, both worth visiting. Modist is all about the hops, sours, stouts, with a few other styles. Easy light rail trip or bikeshare trip, or a long walk.

If you want to venture out, I'd take the Green Line, stop at Surly and then head on to downtown St. Paul to check out Barrel Theory.

Get the Hog Frites at Surly for food.

Wild Mind Artisan Ales is good for sours & farmhouse ales but a bit far for public transportation, could Uber/lyft there.

On my visit last summer, we hit Barrel Theory and Wild Mind, both of which I would highly recommend.

Barrel Theory had a fancier/more lively downtown vibe and has the hype hazy IPAs (not sure if other offerings are hype now as well, a year later).

Wild Minds had huge oak foeders you could look in upon, and a more laid back/neighborhood (green space for kids and dogs)/food truck vibe with interesting saisons, fruited AWAs, etc.

Both were excellent/will be on the return visit list.

I've also enjoyed the packaged offerings of the recommended Fulton and Modist, if you find yourself in a store and looking for something to take to the hotel or home.

Over in North Loop is Modist and Fulton, both worth visiting. Modist is all about the hazy hops and flavored stouts, with a few other styles, I think they have a fruited sour or two. Fulton I'd say is pretty standard, but solid and diverse enough, IPAs to saisons to lagers to stouts. North Loop is an easy light rail trip or bikeshare trip, or a long walk.

If you want to venture out of downtown, I'd take the Green Line, stop at Surly and then head on to downtown St. Paul to check out Barrel Theory.

Great! I'm going to a Twins game during my trip, so I'll make sure to hit up Modist and Fulton before the game.

When do you arrive/leave? Fairstate is another great option as is Blackstack. I might be free to grab a drink or two if you’re looking for a drinking partner.

Also ISO: Live Oak pils...

Back