Vacuum sealing hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
I'm looking for an easier way to vacuum seal my hops. In the past, I've weighed and sealed hops in 1oz portions, but that is super labor intensive. Also, when I cut larger vacuum bags into smaller vacuum bags, they don't always seal properly.
I'm thinking of rolling off a larger bag than I need, then cutting and resealing every time I use the hops. This would keep them vacuum sealed during storage.

How do you do it?

I find that 4 oz is a good size.

Make the bag a little bigger than you need it. Cut it open carefully, take out what you need, seal it back up before they can thaw. Works great.

I have found that mason jars work well for this... otherwise i was having to reseal bags too much and wasting them. Now i just vac it, pop it open, take out what i need then vac the lid back on pop in freezer...

oh yes, take out the tag and put in jar :) so you know what they are :)

I plan on putting mine in mason jars and vac the lid. to keep track of whats what, i plan on just putting some tape on the jar with whats in it.

I have found that mason jars work well for this... otherwise i was having to reseal bags too much and wasting them. Now i just vac it, pop it open, take out what i need then vac the lid back on pop in freezer...

oh yes, take out the tag and put in jar :) so you know what they are :)
Do you boil your new lids first or just put them on and suck away? I just happened to see an article that stated that is what is needed to be done in my research of how to keep my hops.

When I had a vacuum sealer I used the continuous bags. Pour out hops when needed, cut off excess bag, reseal.

I plan on putting mine in mason jars and vac the lid. to keep track of whats what, i plan on just putting some tape on the jar with whats in it.

Do you boil your new lids first or just put them on and suck away? I just happened to see an article that stated that is what is needed to be done in my research of how to keep my hops.
I just spray some starsan in there and when i dries then seal it up... never really gave that much thought to be honest... i figured the cold would keep them. so far no probs in last couple years... and makes it super easy to use.

I break a pound into 5-2 oz packs and 6-1 oz packs, vacuum seal each individual pack.

I used to do just one big bag, but I couldn't get the bags to seal every time due to hop material being in the way. Also, I figured i would just expose the hops to oxygen one time when I broke down the original pound versus every time I used the hops. It probably doesn't matter after being exposed once, but wth.

I’m in the oversized bag camp. You can weigh out what you need as you go. Reseal the bag and throw it back in the freezer. The trick is getting the bag stock cheap. Last time I bought bag stock, I bought from Walmart.com. Three rolls for 18 dollars. If you lose the seal, just make a new bag. No biggie. I’m waaaay to lazy to make all those little bags, and what do ya do with the little bit you didn’t need?

I've moved to the large bulk bag method. I agree that making all the little bags was a pain. My first beer using this method was two weeks ago and it was super easy.

I’m in the oversized bag camp. You can weigh out what you need as you go. Reseal the bag and throw it back in the freezer. The trick is getting the bag stock cheap. Last time I bought bag stock, I bought from Walmart.com. Three rolls for 18 dollars. If you lose the seal, just make a new bag. No biggie. I’m waaaay to lazy to make all those little bags, and what do ya do with the little bit you didn’t need?

This...
I just buy 8 oz. bags at my LBS and reseal what I don't use. Sealer rolls are not that expensive. Way less expensive than sealing 1 oz. weeners….

I have foodsaver zipper bags. They zip like a ziplock, but also have a spot where you can take out the bag. If I roll up 1-lb opened bags of hops, I can fit a couple in there.

Problem is, I tried it for the first time last week and realized I needed a separate adapter for those bags. I ordered one online and should get it within a week. Assuming it seals well, I prefer using these types of reusable bags instead of wasting regular bags every time I make a batch of beer.

Make a larger bag than needed. But cut JUST THE CORNER to get some out. Easier to reseal just corner. Can do this 4 times.
upload_2019-2-18_10-59-43.png

Another thing to do is while the vac sealer is turned on, form the hops flat with your hands. Squeeze the hops into a flat area and push the hops towards the corners. They can stack like fat envelopes in your freezer. This also makes it easier to reseal.

I buy 3 packs of 8" vacuum seal bags on amazon which works out to less than .50 per foot of bag material.

A one foot bag will easily hold a pound of hops and allow you several cuts and reseals. I have been sealing hops (not the same ones) this way for 20 years and never had a problem.

I buy hops in half pound or full pound bags from Yakima Valley Hops. I use what I need from the nice foil bags they have, then fold it over so that the label is visible. I stick that into an oversized vacuum sealer bag and seal it. It's easy to see what's in, it's protected from light, sealed for preservation and I can open and reseal when I use some.

Latest posts

Back