Using Red Star Premium Blanc Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoitAHL

Reaction score
Hello,

I have brewed the following Boomchugalug recipe and have a question about the addition of the Blanc Yeast in secondary.

How to Disappear Completely Imperial Stout
Russian Imperial Stout
Original Specific Gravity: 1.103 - 1.1078
Final Specific Gravity: 1.026 - 1.030
Alcohol by Volume: 10.1%
Color: 59 SRM
IBU: 92

6 lbs. Dark Malt Extract Syrup
5.5 lbs. Dark Malt Extract Syrup
1.1 lbs. Wheat Malt Extract Syrup
1 lb Natural Brown Sugar
10 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Coffee Malt
4 oz 150L Crystal Malt
4 oz Special B Malt (Crushed)

1 oz Nugget Hops (Bittering, 65 Minutes)
1 oz Polaris Hops (Bittering, 65 Minutes)
1 oz Willamette Hops (Flavor & Aroma, After-the-Boil Steep, 10 Minutes)

Safale US-05 Yeast (FYI- had an extra packet of Mangrove Jack's M42 that I added to primary with the Safale)
2 Red Star Premier Blanc Yeast

FYI- my OG 1.102

I won't list all the steps but move on to the Blanc Yeast addition.

Secondary Fermentation:
After about one week, fermentation will begin to slow. This is a good time to siphon the beer into the 5 gallon glass carboy. Add 2 packs of Red Star Premier Blanc yeast after you rack the beer. Allow the beer to rest in the secondary for 2-3 weeks before bottling.

None of my recipes I have followed ever included adding Blanc Yeast. Even the RIS recipes. So my questions are:
What is the reason brewers sometimes use this yeast?
Is there something specific in this recipe that requires it?
From the instructions it looks like you rack to secondary and add the yeast before primary fermentation is done. Is this to kick of additional fermentation?

One additional question. Does the forum community prefer someone posting a link to a recipe or including the whole recipe in the post? I know links can fail or be moved.

Thanks.

Steve

Last edited:
I've typically used champagne/wine yeasts in *BIG* beers (like a RIS/Imperial Stout/Eisbock etc) when bottling. I've found that some of the "regular" yeasts like US05 just don't have enough left in them to properly carbonate big beers in bottles, but the champagne yeast will. I know some of them die out after ~10% abv, but the champagne/wine yeast can handle much more.

I don't use it for primary fermentation, or for any sort of flavoring or anything else - strictly bottling.

Since I'm kegging and not bottling, would there then be any reason to add the yeast to secondary. Would I only add if not hitting FG in primary?

Thanks.

Yeah, if you are kegging and hit your FG, or come close enough to it, I wouldn't bother with that yeast. I can't see it helping any in an RIS. If you're shooting for 1.026 and hit 1.030, and add that yeast, it might actually bring it down lower than you want which would dry it out more (like 1.020).

I don't remember the science behind it, but I remember reading that wine/champagne yeasts can eat different sugars than beer yeast, which might be unwanted in this situation.

Sounds good. If I am close to FG I will omit. I will be checking FG this weekend. It's been in primary 2.5 weeks and still has slight activity through the blowoff tube.

Thanks Krebs

Looking a bit deeper at this - with an OG of 1.102 and shooting for the better number of 1.026, you're at a 9.98% (73% attenuation) abv beer. US-05 can handle up to 11% per Fermentis's site and attenuates 77-82%. Mangrove doesn't specify how high it can go, but mentions "all strengths" so I would assume 10% is fine. Mangrove says it will attenuate 77-82%. So, if either of your yeasts were relatively healthy and were given enough time and the right temps, I don't see why you wouldn't hit the 1.026. You might even get below that, considering both want to attenuate even higher.

So, if you're not bottling, I don't see a need for the champagne/wine yeast.

Back