Using both the 500 and 1000 watt simultaneously with the Brewzilla 35L v3.1.1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobFlott

Reaction score
Since I bought the Brewzilla 35L I have brewed 5 batches. During the step mash process for each batch I only used the 1000 watt burner.
Is it safe to use both the 500 and 1000 watt burners simultaneously throughout the entire step mash?

If using the 1000W element by itself is not quite fast enough, sure, try with both on.
Any way you can measure the temp of the wort in the deadspace, underneath the basket? You don't want it getting too hot, denaturing enzymes prematurely.

How long does it take from temp A to B, the way it's now?

If using the 1000W element by itself is not quite fast enough, sure, try with both on.
Any way you can measure the temp of the wort in the deadspace, underneath the basket? You don't want it getting too hot, denaturing enzymes prematurely.

By using the pump to recirculate the wort the temperature variance between the bottom of the dead space and the top of the mash is usually between 2° - 3°, so the appropriate enzymes should not be adversely affected.

Between the end of Step 3 (147° F) and starting temperature for Step 4 (154° F) takes 12 minutes.
Between the end of Step 4 (154° F) and starting temperature for Step 5 (172° F) takes 29 minutes.
So with only the 1000 watt burner it takes a little over 1½ minutes for every 1° increase in heat.

I think the temp sensor that the front panel is reading is located in the dead space you are talking about...

By using the pump to recirculate the wort the temperature variance between the bottom of the dead space and the top of the mash is usually between 2° - 3°, so the appropriate enzymes should not be adversely affected.

Between the end of Step 3 (147° F) and starting temperature for Step 4 (154° F) takes 12 minutes.
Between the end of Step 4 (154° F) and starting temperature for Step 5 (172° F) takes 29 minutes.
So with only the 1000 watt burner it takes a little over 1½ minutes for every 1° increase in heat.
I think I would use both. Can't see how it could cause any harm, particularly if you are using the pump...

With those numbers the extra 500W will certainly speed things up, by about 33% 50%. As long as it recirculates fast enough to prevent it from getting too hot, not to denature those enzymes (beta especially).
The step to the mashout, from 4 to 5, you can add as much heat as you can, without scorching the wort. You want to denature the enzymes, the quicker, the more time you'd save.

Since I bought the Brewzilla 35L I have brewed 5 batches. During the step mash process for each batch I only used the 1000 watt burner.
Is it safe to use both the 500 and 1000 watt burners simultaneously throughout the entire step mash?
I use both all the time. If you watch the temp it is a lot faster. The sensor is in the dead space . I never have any problems with just 15 circuit.
Cheers:cool::p
I run the pump also, no problem.

Back