Using 1-gallon carboy(s) to experiment w/ 5-gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
This may be a rookie question, but I couldn't find much information about it. Are there any issues with using 1 or more 1-gallon carboys as experimental secondaries for a larger batch?

I am only set up for 1-stage, 5-gallon extract brews at this point, but I figured I could turn one batch into several different smaller brews using some smaller fermenters as secondaries.

Specifically, I would like to make a standard American wheat and then rack a gallon of it onto some fruit in a small secondary or two. Maybe blueberries in one and apricots in another. If either one turns out well, I would have a base recipe for a larger batch of that same brew.

What would be the drawbacks doing it this way? I assume I would have to go ahead and bottle the remainder of the batch that I don't rack to the secondary at that point, but what else should I keep in mind?

For what it's worth, I can't go out and buy a full size carboy at this point, so I'm stuck with my 5-gallon starter setup.

That's exactly what I just did. I brewed a 5 gallon batch but split to two different fermenters so I could try two different yeasts. Don't see any reason why it would an issue and speeds up the process of dialing in a recipe.

Not a rookie question. I started out brewing one gallon batches to see what I liked. Now I brew 3 gallon batches and couldn't be hoppier :)

After 30 batches I have yet to use a secondary but each his own.....Aah, now it's time for another HB Porter. :mug:

Absolutely no problem with it. I sometimes brew a 5 gal blonde ale, and then keg 3 gallons of it and rack the other two gallons into two different 1 gallon fermenters with fruit.

Back