Union Jack-esque IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpa4ny

Reaction score
Dear all,

I put together a recipe inspired by FW's Union Jack (it's not meant to be a clone).

I'd be delighted to hear from you what you think about the recipe in general and the hop addition sequencing in particular.

Many thanks and cheers! :tank:

1.076 OG
1.018 FG
70 IBU
7.6% ABV
9 SRM
0.93 IBU/OG

Fermentable Amount Use PPG Color
Pale Ale (DE) 5.2 kg 83% Mash 39 2 °L
Munich Dark (DE) 0.4 kg 6% Mash 37 15 °L
CaraMunich II (DE) 0.3 kg 4% Mash 34 46 °L
Sucrose (Table Sugar) 0.2 kg 3% Late Boil 46 0 °L
Bairds British Amber 0.1 kg 1% Mash 30 60 °L
Hops Boil time: 60 min

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Columbus (US) 28.0 g 60 min Boil Pellet 15.0%
Centennial (US) 28.0 g 20 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Mosaic (US) 28.0 g 10 min Boil Pellet 12.5%
Simcoe (US) 28.0 g 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.0%
Chinook (US) 28.0 g 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 12.0%
Cascade (US) 28.0 g 3 days Dry Hop Pellet 7.0%
Citra (US) 28.0 g 3 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.7%

Yeasts
Name Lab/Product Average Attenuation
British Ale Wyeast 1098 76.5%

IMO that is a pretty busy grist that I would be worried would get in the way of the hops. Now, I could be completely wrong, those grains may seamlessly come together and be amazing...just my preference in my IPA's to let the grains play second fiddle to the hops as I much prefer the west coast style. I can say one of the only clones I ever made was a Union Jack clone and the recipe is dead on for the hops right down to that weird soapiness it seems to have.

Here is what I would do...Kick the pale up to around 90%, pick either the amber malt or munich and use that more for color than anything, 5% sugar (by percentage of fermentables not weight) to lighten the body, and the caramunich is great IMO, I would just use Caramunich I instead of II as the II imparts some toastiness which I wouldn't want getting in the way of the hops. As far as hops, I'm not on the Citra band wagon and can't comment on Mosiac as I have not tried them. Otherwise, IIRC that looks similar to Union Jack which, as I mentioned has a soapy character to me so adding something like the Mosiac or Citra might be a nice way to knock the edge off...or a nice way to make it taste like scented soap...who knows. For the yeast, I am not a fan of British yeasts for American IPA's, particularly 1968, it just doesn't work for me and I keep those yeasts with British IPA's. Anyway, I'd go with the American Ale Yeast II (can't remember the number) as that has a little more of an estery character than the 1056. So, those are my thoughts if you wanted the red ink pen version of what I would do based off what I know I like.

Hi Bensiff - thanks very much for kindly taking the time to share your thoughts on the recipe - I really appreciate it!

Will incorporate your suggestions into the final version of the recipe. :mug:

Back