Unexplainable Saison Mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troglodytes

Reaction score
I love my saisons super dry and drinkable. In the past I generally finish close to 1.002 with WY3711 @ about 6-7% ABV. My most recent brew was no exception, expect this time it has a serious "weight" to it when you drink it. The mouthfeel is almost thick and slick, and I struggle to drink more than one in a sitting on a hot summer night. The only changes from recent saisons is the addition of rye and spice additions to try to include a lemon pepper to pair with the ginger. The large ginger addition in the recipe below is par for the course for me because I love ginger.

Does anything stand out in the recipe that would cause such a shift? Is it the rye, I've never had this mouthfeel with any rye heavy IPA I've ever made? Maybe too heavily spiced?

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.000
IBU: 30-ish
Yeast: WY3711
Mash pH: 5.4
Water: Ca - 40, Mg - 2, Na - 46, So4 - 80, Cl - 70

Grain:
8# Belgian Pale Malt
3# Rye
1# Table Sugar

Hops:
Sorachi Ace (.5oz FWH, .5 oz @ 10 min, 1 oz 15-min whirlpool)

Spice:
.5 oz crushed toasted coriander @ 2 min
2 oz fresh grated ginger @ 2 min
zest of 2 lemons @ 2 min
tsp black pepper @ 2 min

2 oz fresh grated ginger in secondary (5 days)
zest of 5 lemons in secondary (5 days)

Also, I checked the FG on 2 separate hydrometers and confirmed the 1.000. My thinking is that this should be dry, dry, dry. I know 3711 provides a little body similar to brett, but this tastes more like a dubbel that finished too sweet. Will aging help? Its been bottle carbing for a month and its just been moved to the basement for 2 months of cellar aging.

I had a pumpkin ale that finished pretty dry but suffered from the same slick feeling. I had assumed it was a problem with diacetyl. I didn't really get any butter flavor, but I'm not sure how sensitive I am to that.

Too much rye, base malt too dark.

Saisons always have more body than their FG suggests because the yeast produce gycerol

Rye can definitely give a slick/oily mouthfeel, perhaps even more so with a highly attenuated beer with no crystal malt sweetness/body to offset. Rye is 25% of your fermentables in the recipe which is pretty aggressive. I bet if you dropped it to 10-15% that slick feeling would decrease significantly.

Yep. It's both the beta glucans from rye and glycerol from 3711. I like about 15% rye in my saisons.

I may have been a little heavy with the rye, next time I'll tone it down. My goal was to get a bit more of that spiciness from the rye which I thought might pair with the lemon and ginger. Guess I might have gone a bit hard. Nothing to be done now then, I take it. I'll be letting it age at cellar temps for a couple months because the ginger needs to calm down a little bit anyway; we'll see how turns out.

Back