Tripel recipe tweaks, torrified wheat and kegging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I love Josh Weikert's Make your Best Tripel recipe and have brewed it twice with excellent results. But now I want to tweak it a bit. I'd love a little more lacing on the glass, so I am contemplating a torrified wheat addition. Can I get some comments on this recipe and process? I will also be opting to keg this one (any concerns about that?).

11 lbs German Pilsen Malt
1/2 lb Aromatic Malt
1 lb Torrified Wheat
1 lb table sugar at the top of the boil
Nugget for bittering, Crystal/Mt Hood at flame out for 30 IBU total

Wyeast 3522 Ardennes, 1 million cells per ML pitch rate (stepped and decanted starter)

OG 1.077
FG 1.011 @ 82% attenuation
2.75 volumes, approx.

Ferment at 68F via chest freezer w/inkbird

My questions are:

1. Will Torrified Wheat impart a weird flavor? The Saxo Blond clone according to Candisyrup calls for nearly 2 lbs in theirs, but maybe this is a weird addition for a Tripel? I'm wanting to boost lacing on the glass.
2. Since I won't be bottle conditioning this one, will it be vastly inferior to a bottled one if I ferment, crash, and rack to the keg as soon as it reaches FG? I am very new to kegging and have only kegged a Kolsch and a Dunkelweizen (both around 4.5% ABV).
3. Any suggestions to improve this recipe?

I think the recipe looks great as is. I also use wheat in my Belgian beers.

I would suggest you could condition this beer naturally in the Keg if you would like to benefit from a conditioning period. If you have a pipeline issue, where you need to get something on tap, you could also brew a small "Pater's" version of this same recipe and quickly carb and serve it.

What are you planning for your mash schedule?

Back