Traeger grills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these? Do they really work as advertised or is this just another infomercial? I have an electric smoker and am looking to upgrade.

Traeger was the front runner in pellet grills first out the gate. There are however better out there as far as I'm concerned.
I have the Green Mountain Daniel Boone and have nothing but good to say about it.
The Traeger is a solid unit and it will do some great BBQ but others offer more bang for the buck just do some research before you buy.

I would avoid Traegers and their pellets. They used to be pretty well made but now they are very thin and not that well made. At the last BBQ contest we cooked at there were two new Traeger cookers and we spent a couple of hours helping that team get them going.

Like said before look at Green Mountain Grills or Louisiana Grills. Both are better made cookers.

Mark

Yoder has a good reputation as well. Bummer about Traeger. Go for the gold with a Fast Eddy from Cook Shack. They rival weber for customer service and products that last a lifetime.

I have a traeger pro 22. it was ok out of the box, but after multiple flameouts I upgraded it to the savannah stoker control box to replace the stock traeger unit. After the upgrade, I've been very happy with it. all in all, I spent about 900 on the unit, and am pretty happy with it, heck, I just put a 14 pound brisket on right now.

basically, a traeger is fine, just don't expect to get away without monitoring it out of the box, the stock controller is not that great. Aftermarket PID controllers make it a whole lot better

I have a traeger pro 22. it was ok out of the box, but after multiple flameouts I upgraded it to the savannah stoker control box to replace the stock traeger unit. After the upgrade, I've been very happy with it. all in all, I spent about 900 on the unit, and am pretty happy with it, heck, I just put a 14 pound brisket on right now.

basically, a traeger is fine, just don't expect to get away without monitoring it out of the box, the stock controller is not that great. Aftermarket PID controllers make it a whole lot better

The advantage of pellet cookers is the set it and forget it aspect. If the controller is not reliable I might as well buy a bag of hardwood charcoal and light up my WSM (and I have a commercial pellet smoker)

Thanks for critiques. very helpful! The control box is what I am afraid of. I will check some of the above.

My brother bought a Traeger pellet smoker and returned it. He was hoping for a smoker that would get hot enough to do a steak, and it wouldn't get hot enough for him.

FWIW, I have both a weber coal grill for hot stuff and a weber smoker. If I had to do it all over again (and I probably will when they fall apart), I'd just buy a green egg or equivalent. I think those komodo-style grills are the closest thing to a do-all.

My brother bought a Traeger pellet smoker and returned it. He was hoping for a smoker that would get hot enough to do a steak, and it wouldn't get hot enough for him.

FWIW, I have both a weber coal grill for hot stuff and a weber smoker. If I had to do it all over again (and I probably will when they fall apart), I'd just buy a green egg or equivalent. I think those komodo-style grills are the closest thing to a do-all.

The kamado is a do-all, and that's why I purchased mine, actually. My old gasser was on its last legs so I wanted one grill to do *everything*. The kamado will be a smoker, grill, can sear really phenomenally well, can bake, can roast, etc.

Pellet was ruled out because I couldn't really sear on it. That was the only reason, too, as I really liked the Green Mountain and Rec Tec ones.

So I bought a Kamado Joe Big Joe, and ended up eventually adding a Joe Jr to the mix...

...and now I still want something quick and easy for weeknight/fast cooks. The process of firing up the kamado is laborious.

I'm looking at a gasser. I'd go for pellet, but again I want something with sear capability especially since I have a smoker (kamado).

The kamado is great. It truly is a do-everything grill. But it's not nearly as convenient when you just want to throw something quickly on the grill as a pellet or gasser.

I'm looking at a gasser. I'd go for pellet, but again I want something with sear capability especially since I have a smoker (kamado).

You can have your cake and eat it too! The Mak offers sear capability standard on the two-star and as an option on the one-star. I can't speak for the flamezone (sear) since I got the one-star opted not to get it because I already have a gasser. But, ever since getting the Mak, my gas grill sees very little action. One of the biggest advantages this has over gas is that you never have to worry about flare-ups. You can do your burgers at 400 or slow-smoke some sausages at 200. Walk away, do your thing and come back to perfect, not charred meat. It's also nice to cook over wood vs gas and the fuel source comes out cheaper and more convenient in the long run especially if you order some pellets in bulk.

You can have your cake and eat it too! The Mak offers sear capability standard on the two-star and as an option on the one-star. I can't speak for the flamezone (sear) since I got the one-star opted not to get it because I already have a gasser. But, ever since getting the Mak, my gas grill sees very little action. One of the biggest advantages this has over gas is that you never have to worry about flare-ups. You can do your burgers at 400 or slow-smoke some sausages at 200. Walk away, do your thing and come back to perfect, not charred meat. It's also nice to cook over wood vs gas and the fuel source comes out cheaper and more convenient in the long run especially if you order some pellets in bulk.

I have no doubt that it's a fine, fine cooker. As it should be for $1700+$400 (One Star + FlameZone) or $2700 (Two Star). Personally for me, with two kamado grills already in the backyard, I'm looking for a mid-level gasser in maybe the $500-900 range that will be a backyard workhorse when I don't feel like firing up the kamado.

And to be fair, I doubt that most people in the market for a Traeger are really comparing it to a Mak. Different price point, different market.

Still, as they say...

ferris-bueller-meme-10.jpg

Brad, I use my Akorn for everything. (A steel insulated egg shaped smoker/grill)
It takes a bit longer than a gas grill to be ready, but probably not as long as a ceramic. And it definitely cooks hotter than a gas grill. (Lawyers you know)
The Akorn is very reasonable too.

Brad, I use my Akorn for everything. (A steel insulated egg shaped smoker/grill)
It takes a bit longer than a gas grill to be ready, but probably not as long as a ceramic. And it definitely cooks hotter than a gas grill. (Lawyers you know)
The Akorn is very reasonable too.

I'm a big fan of the Akorn. I hear the double-wall insulated steel is actually *more* efficient re: charcoal usage than even a ceramic kamado. It's an excellent cooker, and the price is right. I certainly recommend it to people considering a kamado.

For me, it's not that it takes too long time-wise to light a kamado (especially the Joe Jr which is much quicker to come up to temp due to its small size). It's more the hassle. When I just want to throw something on after getting home from work, I don't want to:

1. Open the grill, removing the grates, etc to access the charcoal.
  2. Clean out the previous ash.
  3. Carry a heavy bag of charcoal from the garage to the back patio, pour in new charcoal, arrange it with my hands (including adding in whatever firestarter I'm using), light it, put all the grate components back in, carry the heavy charcoal bag back to the garage.
  4. Wash my hands 3 times throughout the above process due to all the ash, charcoal dust, etc.
  5. Monitor the temp and vents while it comes up to the size of fire that I need for whatever I'm cooking..

I don't mind that on the weekends, because frankly I love the way it cooks. But it's a lot of work after a long day, especially if I have my kids around. Especially if I'm just cooking something hot and fast like burgers, kabobs, etc.

Turning on a burner, pressing an ignition button, and walking away for 15 minutes until it's ready is a lot easier on a weekday.

I'm a big fan of the Akorn. I hear the double-wall insulated steel is actually *more* efficient re: charcoal usage than even a ceramic kamado. It's an excellent cooker, and the price is right. I certainly recommend it to people considering a kamado.

For me, it's not that it takes too long time-wise to light a kamado (especially the Joe Jr which is much quicker to come up to temp due to its small size). It's more the hassle. When I just want to throw something on after getting home from work, I don't want to:

3. Carry a heavy bag of charcoal from the garage to the back patio, pour in new charcoal, arrange it with my hands (including adding in whatever firestarter I'm using), light it, put all the grate components back in, carry the heavy charcoal bag back to the garage.
  4. Wash my hands 3 times throughout the above process due to all the ash, charcoal dust, etc.
  5. Monitor the temp and vents while it comes up to the size of fire that I need for whatever I'm cooking..

I don't mind that on the weekends, because frankly I love the way it cooks. But it's a lot of work after a long day, especially if I have my kids around. Especially if I'm just cooking something hot and fast like burgers, kabobs, etc.

Turning on a burner, pressing an ignition button, and walking away for 15 minutes until it's ready is a lot easier on a weekday.

Ha. I don't komado but I do sympathize. The biggest detractor for grilling on a weekday for me is the time wasted waiting for the chimney to fully light before i can get to cooking. It's not enough to make me want to go back to full on gasser but it is enough to make me have want for a gas start charcoal grill.

Ha. I don't komado but I do sympathize. The biggest detractor for grilling on a weekday for me is the time wasted waiting for the chimney to fully light before i can get to cooking. It's not enough to make me want to go back to full on gasser but it is enough to make me have want for a gas start charcoal grill.

Weber Performer has gas starter for the coals. Still get messy emptying ash / filling coal, but after that pretty much lights itself (no chimney).

Weber Performer has gas starter for the coals. Still get messy emptying ash / filling coal, but after that pretty much lights itself (no chimney).

Ayup. Currently have a Weber kettle. And while it has seen better days it is not showing any signs of needing replacement nor do I grill enough to justify having a second. But the Performer is on my radar.

If you are looking for a pellet grill, check out Grilla Grills. http://grillagrills.com/
They have three different models. I dont have one but they seem nice.
They also have Kamodo style grill which i like but i already have one similar.

Great! I have a MAK wood fired pellet grill too and simply love it! I slow smoke Cowboy bone-in ribeyes to get a smoky flavor until internal reaches 110F. I remove the steaks, turn the grill up as high as she Glows, then return the steaks to finish off with a good crusty sear. I'll tell you, this is a $75 dollar steak in a prime restaurant. I get my bone in ribeye's from Sam's and they are surprisingly good steaks for a pretty reasonable price. Love my MAK pellet grill!! It really shines for slow overnight cooks on pork butts and beef briskets.

EDIT: Let me add that I started with a Traeger grill and was not satisfied with it's low quality build and sub-par cooking performance. The MAK is quite a bit more expensive, so it boils down to what you want out of a grill.

I get that. Time is less an issue for me, as I'm retired. One reason I prefer charcoal over gas is that the gas grill won't really achieve high heat. I suspect because heat might burn you. (Really)
My method is quicker, mostly due to set up. I open the shed, fill the chimney, stick a lighter cube under it in the grill and walk away. The chimney is in flames in about ten minutes, I empty onto the coals from the last cook, some of which are burning from the cube. Maybe ten more minutes to 500.
I only empty the ash intermittently.
Today I tried a different method because I wanted a nap before cooking.
I put the lighter cube in the grill, lit it and covered with charcoal. I left the grate in, and the vents wide open. Then I lay down. I went back half hour later, probably too long. The grate was white with ash, a remote thermometer showed the iron around 1000 degrees!
I brushed the ash off and threw the steaks on. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back