Three 1 gal batches of mead ....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david83

Reaction score
So after uncovering some mead I made three plus years ago I kinda got the itch to brew a little, seems I need a hobby at all times lol.
So rather than doing another big batch I decided to do three small 1 gal batches to experiment with flavors a bit. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421718983.207258.jpg

Mead #1 is wildflower honey,3# using wyeast sweet mead yeast the plan is to secondary with vanilla beans and possibly oak cubes
Og was 1.082

Mead #2 used 3# clover honey and lavlin d47 yeast plan here is secondary with fruit of some sort
Og was 1.090

Mead #3 again is 3# of clover honey this time used s-05 yeast plan with this one is oranges knowing it'll be a sweeter mead.

All three were given yeast nutrient and energizer. Yeast pitched and two hours later the only one not chugging along was the wyeast. Surprisingly to me the s-05 was chugging within 1/2 hr and I may have to put a blowoff tube on if it keeps going the way it is. Looking forward to hopefully not having to wait 3 plus years to drink these. Not sure why all three had a different og

I want to do a simple vanilla mead also. Was thinking of putting beans in at primary and again at secondary. I want a low alcohol something around 8-9%. Would I need to cut back on the honey some at primary or use the 3+ pounds I intended on and stop fermentation early? I want it a bit sweet and planned on backsweetening. I'm looking for something of a cordial type drink.

Doing the same here, slightly differently. I've got three 1 gallon batches on the go in primary right now. Today the SG is not a good as I had hoped. Even with nutrient and oxygenating. Ferment temp is about 20c.

1 - Dry
2 lbs of honey
nutrient
ec-1118
OG: 1.076
SG after 19 days: 1.040

2 - Sweet
3 lbs honey
nutrient
ec-1118
OG: 1.130
SG after 19 days: 1.074

3. Sweet, no nutrient
3 lbs honey
1 orange
10 raisins
ec-1118
OG: 1.120
SG after 19 days: 1.046

After almost 3 weeks, I was hoping for greater attenuation. #3 is probably doing the best. Thinking about leaving it another week and then transferring to secondary. Don't want to get off flavours from leaving it on the lees too long.

Cheers!
Bill

10649765_10155216935430184_592401998002035346_n.jpg

Last edited:
Doing the same here, slightly differently. I've got three 1 gallon batches on the go in primary right now. Today the SG is not a good as I had hoped. Even with nutrient and oxygenating. Ferment temp is about 20c.

1 - Dry
2 lbs of honey
nutrient
ec-1118
OG: 1.076
SG after 19 days: 1.040

2 - Sweet
3 lbs honey
nutrient
ec-1118
OG: 1.130
SG after 19 days: 1.074

3. Sweet, no nutrient
3 lbs honey
1 orange
10 raisins
ec-1118
OG: 1.120
SG after 19 days: 1.046

After almost 3 weeks, I was hoping for greater attenuation. #3 is probably doing the best. Thinking about leaving it another week and then transferring to secondary. Don't want to get off flavours from leaving it on the lees too long.

Cheers!
Bill

These should be done by now. I think you should re-evaluate your pH buffering, nutrient addition, or both. Compare what you did to the suggestions in my article (link in signature). Cheers!

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

These should be done by now. I think you should re-evaluate your pH buffering, nutrient addition, or both. Compare what you did to the suggestions in my article (link in signature). Cheers!

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Thanks - I was thinking about pH recently too. Didn't really pay any attention to it - that may be it. I just racked into secondarys after three weeks hoping to wake up the yeast and introduce some oxygen. I'm going to test the pH as well. Thanks for the tips!

Latest posts

Back