Things to do on "teach a friend to brew day"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markstache

Reaction score
I'm planning a "teach a friend to brew day" in November. I had about 6 guys come by last weekend for drinking and brewing, and I'd like to make more of a day out of it. I'm planning to do all grain batch (BIAB) and also an extract kit during the mash. I should have a batch ready to bottle that day as well.

I'm trying to think of a few more beer related activities that we can do, while still keeping the atmosphere light. I'm planning to buy a 12 pack of Sam Adams and dose each bottle with a different hop (with a few bottles reserved for "control" beer). Structured tasting might be little too heavy handed.

Other suggestions?

My brother-in-law and sister are coming in town for a visit in a few weeks. My plan is to have a recipe ready to drink, that same recipe ready to bottle, and we will brew that same recipe. He can take some of the ready to drink home with him as well as some that we bottle. This way he can see the entire process with the same recipe and see how it works.

I also live in Asheville and seeing how this is an incredible beer scene I will take them around to some of the local spots and see if I can maybe get a Sierra Nevada tour and maybe stop in the Oscar Blue tap room after a hike.

My brother-in-law and sister are coming in town for a visit in a few weeks. My plan is to have a recipe ready to drink, that same recipe ready to bottle, and we will brew that same recipe.

Better be a hell of a recipe. :)

Reminds me of a cooking show where they pull a complete cake right out of the oven moments after mixing the ingredients. Quite a smart plan, actually. I don't think I'll be in a position to have identical brew ready, but it's a smart approach.

Better be a hell of a recipe. :)

Reminds me of a cooking show where they pull a complete cake right out of the oven moments after mixing the ingredients. Quite a smart plan, actually. I don't think I'll be in a position to have identical brew ready, but it's a smart approach.

lol...no. It's the same recipe in different stages.

Name that grain game. Get a bunch of small amounts of specialty grains and hand out samples along with descriptions of what grains taste like what. However don't tell them which grains are which and let them guess based on taste and descriptions alone. Also in that vein it might be fun to do blind tastings of commercial beers in a guess the style kind of game.

See who can hold their hand in 120* water the longest while chewing on a pellet of Chinook? If you spill your beer you're disqualified...

We make the new guy shake the primary for an hour to "aerate" the wort and yell at them if any spills out of the airlock hole.

The owner of my local shop had a good suggestion for dosing with different hops. He said to get a case of bud and a french press. Press the different hops into the beer to get an idea of the flavor and aroma. The Sam Adams might hide some of the different flavors.

The owner of my local shop had a good suggestion for dosing with different hops. He said to get a case of bud and a french press. Press the different hops into the beer to get an idea of the flavor and aroma. The Sam Adams might hide some of the different flavors.

Hop tea would work too for identifying the flavors of the hops and then you don't have to drink a case of bud!

Latest posts

Back