The longevity of grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDogsRump

MOMO BREWING
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post and first time joining a forum.

I've been brewing for a number of years but have had some time off as I unexpectedly got accepted to graduate school and moved away. My brewing gear got put into storage and despite my best efforts, there was no way for my to get through all my grain. Now, because of COVID, I am back home and finally got around to digging everything out of storage to get brewing again.

I have a bin full of unmilled grain, all stored airtight (some never even opened) which has been in a bin in a storage unit for ~1.5 to 2 years. It would be a real shame to throw it all out but I've never used grain older than 12 months at most. Any experience or advice?

For context: This is in Alberta, Canada with ~8 months of very cold below 0C (that's 32F for American's) weather. No exposure to sunlight. No moisture.

Attachments

• PXL_20210109_191237145.jpg
    PXL_20210109_191237145.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 46
This is what I wanted to hear!

Thanks for the reassurance. I already ordered a few grains for some recipes I'm starting with. I won't open these up until brew day and give them a whiff. If they smell good, I'll use em. If not, I'll use the new stuff. My main concern was not wasting.

Thanks again!

-10 to 40C in winter (8 months) / 10 to 25C in summer (4 months). It was a storage unit without any sort of climate control.

I’m just across the 49th from you in Montana so I’m familiar with your climate. I’m also a grain farmer and am quite familiar with the way grain is stored and how it makes it’s way through the transportation/distribution/processing system. I can just about guarantee that there is “fresh” malt in a LHBS somewhere that isn’t much younger than your grain. You shouldn’t have any issues using your stash.

Oh, and welcome to HBT!

I'll just add this agreement to all the other comments, taste/smell, if good, go! If less than crunchy, expect lower to much lower efficiency. If moldy, toss it of course. While all mine is stored indoors (buckets with gamma seal lids), I have a lot that I bought 7+ years ago and have had zero issues.

whole grain will store for many years under dry conditions.

milled grain? weeks at best.

I was very, very concerned as I receive already milled grains at a local group grain purchase. Was I going to bit*h? Not with the savings.

Interesting as just today, Friday, February 19, 2021, I used some of the milled grain. Before using I chewed some of it. If it tasted similar to old crackers, I'd need to use a different grain. The grain was OK. So, even milled grain, properly stored, will last quite a long time.

Back