The first ever certified master cicerone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopvine

Reaction score
Just saw this article that talks about Andrew Van Til, the first person to ever become a "certified master cicerone" (the beer equivalent to a wine sommelier), a program directed by Ray Daniels. The most interesting bits are towards the end of the article when it goes over the requirements and gives some sample questions. 12 hours worth of testing! :eek:

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.ssf/2009/12/kalamazoos_andrew_van_til_is_t.html

By Josh Smith | KalamaBrew
December 11, 2009, 8:00AM
KALAMAZOO — Andrew Van Til has achieved something that no one else has before.

Van Til, an account manager for CKL Corp., which includes Imperial Beverage and Elite Brands, has been certified a master cicerone by the Cicerone Certification Program, based in Chicago.

A cicerone is the beer equivalent to a wine sommelier.

The program has given more than 1,000 exams across the three levels of the program. About 800 people have earned the first-level title, certified beer server, and 75 have achieved the title certified cicerone.

“The Master Cicerone exam is designed to assess the full depth and breadth of professional beer knowledge and skill — from the making of malt to the matching of beer with food,” Ray Daniels, director of the certification program, said in a press release.

Van Til was one of seven beer-industry professionals who took the master exam in the course of two days in early November and the only one who passed.

“It’s really humbling," said Van Til, who said he was surprised to be the only one who passed. “It was the most mentally taxing two days of my life.”

“This forces you to be well-rounded in beer knowledge,” he said. “The level of detail is pretty high.”

“Professionally, it gives me credibility to help myself and my company,” he said. Van Til also said his increased knowledge of craft beer will benefit his customers as well.

How it works
The syllabus to become a master cicerone covers five areas:
Keeping and serving beer.
Beer styles.
Beer flavor and evaluation.
Beer ingredients and brewing processes.
Pairing beer with food.

The exam is divided into written, oral and tasting sections. To pass, a candidate needs an average score of 85 percent across all three. The test lasts 12 hours.

In addition to essay questions, the written exam also included:

Preparation of a five-course food and beer pairing dinner from specified menus.

Calculation of draft system specifications for various retail situations including both straight carbon dioxide and mixed-gas dispense.

Other requirements
Candidates must also demonstrate that they have at least two years experience in beer sales or service.

Sample questions
1. What is a “beer clean” glass and what is required to achieve it? How can you tell if a glass is beer clean before putting beer in it? Once a beer has been poured into a glass what signs would indicate that the glass had not been beer clean to start with?

2. Discuss the making of smoked beer including production of any special raw ingredients that might be needed. Where relevant, discuss differences between the production approaches used in various parts of the world and the differences in flavor that may result. Give commercial examples.

3. Discuss the basic structure and operation of a hop back, telling when it would be used in the brewing process, what ingredients or supplies would be needed and how it affects the flavor of the finished beer.

4. Compare and contrast the Flanders Red and Flanders Brown (Oud Bruin) beer styles with regard to ingredients and finished beer character including flavor, mouth feel and appearance. Provide quantitative measures and commercial examples for each style.

5. Compare and contrast the Bock and Maibock styles with regard to ingredients and finished beer character including flavor, mouth feel and appearance. Provide quantitative measures and commercial examples for each style.

6. Select a small brewery from Japan, Italy, The Netherlands, Denmark, Norway or Sweden whose products you have tasted and identify three beers they make, giving the name and style classification and discussing the flavor attributes of each one. (If the beer is not marketed under a style name, state what style you believe the beer to be.)

Sounds difficult!

I answered them all correctly but I'm not going to say the answers so I don't spoil for everyone.

:fro:

The beer geek in me finds this really cool and but there is a part of me who thinks that people whe spend money and time on certifications like this are suckers BECAUSE - you just paid someone to tell you that you know what you already knew and now you have a piece of paper to show that you know what you already knew.

I love the idea of testing your knowledge and learning but I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of people out there who have the same knowledge and expertise as this guy - and they don't need a piece of paper to prove it.

Lastly - much proper respect to Andrew Van Til. Cheers.

Got that email as well. Very cool that they're doing this, but I wonder how many restaurant will really have one on staff.

I love the idea of testing your knowledge and learning but I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of people out there who have the same knowledge and expertise as this guy - and they don't need a piece of paper to prove it.

But the piece of paper would help on a resume in the beer industry. Pretty much what certifications are for IMO. Resumes.

The beer geek in me finds this really cool and but there is a part of me who thinks that people whe spend money and time on certifications like this are suckers BECAUSE - you just paid someone to tell you that you know what you already knew and now you have a piece of paper to show that you know what you already knew.

Fair enough but there's probably also lots of people that possess endless knowledge of aeronautics and might be capable of flying a plane, but if they don't get a license they don't look so employable.

I think it's stupid to get certified if you don't need it. It's not a "nerd-certificate", it's a designation for professionals in the wholesale, retail, distribution, import and hospitality industry.

Full disclosure. I'm a Certified Cicerone™ after yesterday. Good timing on this thread huh?

Full disclosure. I'm a Certified Cicerone™ after yesterday. Good timing on this thread huh?
How was that test? I am now the beer buyer for a bar and was thinking about taking the beer server test this week, I took the sample exam and got 100% and even knew most of the stuff on the sample certified cicerone exam. Although I am not going to take that one unless the owner pays for it cause that is like $300.

How was that test? I am now the beer buyer for a bar and was thinking about taking the beer server test this week, I took the sample exam and got 100% and even knew most of the stuff on the sample certified cicerone exam. Although I am not going to take that one unless the owner pays for it cause that is like $300.

The beer server exam was pretty easy, for me, I took it right after I got 100% on the sample.

On the cicerone test there is another part to it that you don't see on the site involving a tasting of 12 beers, for style and off flavours. Plus there was a demonstration. If you know the sections on the sample well, and can identify off-flavours and styles then you should pass. You need 80% though, with a minimum of 70% on the tasting. You need 85% for the master.

I started a little import company, so that's why I did it.

The beer server exam was pretty easy, for me, I took it right after I got 100% on the sample.

On the cicerone test there is another part to it that you don't see on the site involving a tasting of 12 beers, for style and off flavours. Plus there was a demonstration. If you know the sections on the sample well, and can identify off-flavours and styles then you should pass. You need 80% though, with a minimum of 70% on the tasting. You need 85% for the master.
I'm def gonna take the beer server exam, might even do it tonight after I get home. Even the certified test just looked like the BJCP exam with draft systems and food pairing added, and I did well on the BJCP exam.

I was at the Flat Branch Brewery in Columbia, MO this weekend and they had this posting, first I had heard of the program:

Congratulations to Flat Branch manager Jarrett, who recently passed his Cicerone exam. The Cicerone is the pinnacle of beer knowledge certification. Jarrett is the first person in Columbia, and only the third person in the state of Missouri to reach this acheivement.

The word Cicerone (pronounced sis-uh-rohn) has been chosen to designate those with proven expertise in selecting, acquiring and serving today’s wide range of beers.

Many people think that they are experts on beer. Only those who have passed the requisite test of knowledge and tasting skill can call themselves a Cicerone.

Congratulations!

Sample questions
1. What is a “beer clean” glass and what is required to achieve it? How can you tell if a glass is beer clean before putting beer in it? Once a beer has been poured into a glass what signs would indicate that the glass had not been beer clean to start with?

2. Discuss the making of smoked beer including production of any special raw ingredients that might be needed. Where relevant, discuss differences between the production approaches used in various parts of the world and the differences in flavor that may result. Give commercial examples.

3. Discuss the basic structure and operation of a hop back, telling when it would be used in the brewing process, what ingredients or supplies would be needed and how it affects the flavor of the finished beer.

4. Compare and contrast the Flanders Red and Flanders Brown (Oud Bruin) beer styles with regard to ingredients and finished beer character including flavor, mouth feel and appearance. Provide quantitative measures and commercial examples for each style.

5. Compare and contrast the Bock and Maibock styles with regard to ingredients and finished beer character including flavor, mouth feel and appearance. Provide quantitative measures and commercial examples for each style.

6. Select a small brewery from Japan, Italy, The Netherlands, Denmark, Norway or Sweden whose products you have tasted and identify three beers they make, giving the name and style classification and discussing the flavor attributes of each one. (If the beer is not marketed under a style name, state what style you believe the beer to be.)

Sounds difficult!

To the guy who wanted them answered (and to see how well I can do on my own!)

1. The glass must be clear of any residue from detergents, dirt, foreign particles, and any other residues (fats and oils are a main concern!)

To test the cleanliness of a glass, you can put some water on the inside, and coat it with salt. The salt will stick to the inside of the glass.

When poured, the head will form a nice, compact foam. Additionally, the bubbles should only rise from the bottom of the glass. Any nucleation points on the sides of the glass are from chips or an unclean glass, and neither should be used.

2. Smoked beer. I'm not 100% on this one, but I'll do my best. German smoked malt is most commonly used in rauchbiers and smoked porters and the malt is smoked over a wood fire (various woods) until the desired amount of smoke characteristic is added. The malt is partially dried this way, so the barley needs to have a higher water weight to start out with. The most common commercial example of a rauchbier is the Schenkerla Rauchbier. Smoked porters include Stone Smoked Porter and Alaskan Brewing Smoked Porter (very smoky and nice version.)

The other smoked malt is smoked over peat and is MUCH more potent. Not sure of a commercial example of a beer with peat smoked malt in it, but I'm sure there are a few from Scotland, at least.

3. Hopback! Sealed airtight container that is filled with whole leaf hops and is placed between the boil kettle and the cooling device. Hot wort runs through the hops, strips the volatile compounds, and is then cooled. The compounds are left mostly intact because the hot wort does not have time to change them much. Adds flavor and aroma.

4. Flanders Red. I'll start with the classic example, Rodenbach Grand Cru. There might be better beers within the style from time to time, but Rodenbach is the classic example. The beer is mostly made of malt, and some adjunts are used (typically corn.) The style comes from the West Flanders region of Belgium. The beers are typically reddish brown to a deep ruby red, tons of fruit and tartness on the nose, and the same on the palate with a range of characteristics from sour to vinegary, depending on the style. The beers obtain the sourness from the lengthy barrel aging, where the barrels are inoculated with the proper bugs to do the work. This style is made from a blend of various ages to obtain the final product.

Flanders Brown. The one I've had the most often is the Petrus Oud Bruin. Monk's Cafe and Goudenbond are both good examples as well. Similar to the red, but aged in stainless steel. Bugs are added to the beer as opposed to using the inoculated barrels. Reddish brown to brown in color, the beer gives a lot of dark fruit characteristics. Cherries, dates, prunes, plums, and the like come to mind. Still sour, but sometimes a little less acetic than its brother the red.

Both styles are not really determinant on hops, and the characteristic from hops should be little to none.

5. Bock is a strong lager. Big malt character, typically amber to dark brown. Hops can be present, but should not overpower the malt, and I'd say that a lot are hopped low. I've had the Sam Adams Longshot Bock, the Anchor Bock, Shiner... All good examples of the style. Seem to see more doppelbocks in the states.

Maibock is a helles bock and is typically lighter in color, has more hops, and more alcohol present. Typical examples would be Dead Guy from Rogue, Hofbrau... I haven't had too many maibocks.

6. Small brewery. I'll go with Japan, although the Netherlands and Norway would be fun.

Hitachino Nest is a small brewery in Japan (brewery is called "Kiuchi Brewery" but I just looked that up. First google search!)

Hitachino White, Hitachino XH, and Hitachino Espresso Stout.

Hitachino white was just what it sounded like originally. It is a classic white ale brewed with coriander and orange peel. A super light, refreshing beer, big citrus nose and easy to drink. Nice fruit and spice taste, high carbonation...

This beer got weird last year. A few kegs came into town and were all infected. Not like gross spitting out your glass infected, but a weird sour note to it that made it less pleasant, and I am a big fan of sours. It stripped the body from this beer and made it a little odd. I'm thinking the bugs from the XH somehow infected their brewery. Hopefully their quality control has reigned this in.

Hitachino XH. Stronger beer, earthy, aged in shoyu casks. Orange/red, and again, a highly carbonated beer... This one tastes earthy, woody, funky, a liteele sweetness comes out in it, some fruit. This beer really jumps all over the place. I love this beer when I want it. Which is sometimes. A good palate cleanser for when you're working with a lot of beers in a night. style classification? Barrel aged ale?

Espresso Stout. Style is pretty obvious. Theirs is dark, almost black, strong bitter coffee notes are totally apparent. Drinks like a good medium bodied stout, roasty, coffee, good carbonation level... I like this beer.

Annnd, that's it for me. I got bored trying to describe an espresso stout. I'd do better on the test.

I just finished taking the first exam, the online one. I got 100% on my first try, but having done the BJCP exam helped a lot. It's basically the BJCP with draft system, beer storage/serving and food pairing added in.

Code:
Student Name:  Kyle Alberda
Exam Name: Certified Beer Server Exam
Question Category	No. of Questions	Number Correct Percentage Correct
 American Styles 	              8 	                   8 	              100%
 Beer Characteristics 	              4                            4  	              100%
 Belgian Styles 	              3 	                   3 	              100%
 British Styles 	              4 	                   4 	              100%
 Flavors 	                      7 	                   7 	              100%
 Freshness 	                      3 	                   3 	              100%
 German/Czech Styles 	              5 	                   5 	              100%
 Glassware 	                      4 	                   4 	              100%
 Ingredients 	                      5 	                   5 	              100%
 Serving Beer 	                      5 	                   5 	              100%
 Taste 	                              3 	                   3 	              100%
 Three Tier 	                      3 	                   3 	              100%
 Totals: 	                     60 	                  60 	              100%
I don't even think the guy I'm doing the beer buying/maintenance for cares, but I checked the list and apparently I'm the first guy in my city to pass. I'm not doing the certified one unless he pays for it though, that's too much money.

Ray Daniels just emailed me and told me I'm "only the third person to score 100 out of more than 1000 exams given so far."

I'm planning on doing this after the first of the year, as well as BJCP studies.
Now... just to get time off to get 'er done and set aside some $$$.

Latest posts

Back