The $20 Temp controller has finally arrived!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techbrewie

Reaction score
Hey all, Almost a month ago I posted a link to a pretty epic deal on one of those Chinese temp controllers, except this one is a complete unit. 0 diy required. Also this unit is compatible with both US and EU plugins supporting inputs ranging from 110v-220v.

Link to Current Auction. Once it expires, just see the sellers other items to find it again.

I ordered to on the 15th of Feb, and due to the awesomeness of usps and their really unfortunate mail forwarding procedures I just received them today.

Pictures will be in order with the review. everything shown in the pictures is exactly what came in the packages.

On the packaging, there was alot of chinese text. and well I dont speak chinese. so bummer there.

I was really disappointed, because both of the units came with cosmetic damage. 2 cracks in the face plate of one, and what seems to be an almost crack in the face plate of the other. Other than that, They appear to be in perfect functional condition, and have no other apparent manufacturer defects or flaws.

Upon plugging in both units, they powered on instantly. There is no power button, so when these bad boys are plugged in, theyre on. The socket does fit all US standard outlet plugin's. but also seem to fit the EU 110v plugins as well.

Both controllers are very consistent relative to each other in temp, which either means they are consistent in accuracy, or consistent in calibration. Neither of which are bad things. I used a semi controlled environment to test the temp sensors as shown.

Lastly are the functions of the unit as illistrated in the final pic. It can be used to

P1. both heat or cool
P2. set a max temp cap
P3. set a min of lowest temp setting
P4. Set in a temp correction which is actually pretty cool, since your unit might not be 100% accurate.
P5. Delay a start time. Nice function that delays the start of a heat/cool cycle, to see if it goes back in range.
P6. Buzzer On/Off. when you use a button, it beeps. This makes it not beep...
P7. Turns on an alarm if your unit goes out of range while cycling.

TL;DR
for $20 per unit, I couldn't be happier. The cosmetic flaws are a letdown, but really who cares they wont be visible anyways. They have more functionality than I expected. They also work exactly how I expect them to. Money Well Spent.

Welp, here they are!

L92S1JO.jpg

2LY3AqF.jpg

JYDhcDQ.jpg

AvyKGWu.jpg

aGy8a7n.jpg

bvFAgDL.jpg

K5KM1ID.jpg

Ujq4b3D.jpg

It does not appear to be grounded via the power cord attached to the unit. Seems to work just fine anyways. I should note the two prongs fit somewhat loosely into sockets. and if you are super concerned about it you could always splice in a grounded end to the wire.

Given competitive pricing, this is a decent deal for those who prefer not to construct their own single-stage controller. As combining two units really doesn't add up to a true dual-stage solution, an $18 STC-1000, $15 worth of plastic, duplex outlet and wire, and an hour or so of time still looks like the price/performance winner...

Cheers!

[edit] I do have to say that the line cord on the pictured units looks incredibly thin for a 10A rated device...

Nice. Thanks a bunch for this. I'm trying to get away with using the thermostat on my wine chiller for fermenting, but eventually I'm sure I'll want more control over it and this looks nice.

Latest posts

Back