Texas Tech Red Raiders getting crapped on...again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecojack

Reaction score
Tuberville just fired everyone...including Ruffin.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4824927

Six assistants out at Texas Tech

Texas Tech defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill and four other assistant coaches were fired Wednesday as new Red Raiders coach Tommy Tuberville cleared the way for his own staff.

McNeill and assistants Lincoln Riley, Clay McGuire, Brian Mitchell and Eric Russell were let go on Wednesday. A sixth assistant, Carlos Mainord, is retiring.

So far, Tuberville has hired Neal Brown, formerly of Troy, as offensive coordinator. And The Tuscaloosa News reported Wednesday that Alabama linebackers coach James Willis had agreed in principle to become the Red Raiders' defensive coordinator, according to a source close to the situation. Willis worked with Tuberville at Auburn for three seasons, according to the report.

McNeill was named interim coach at Texas Tech when former coach Mike Leach was suspended and then fired over the treatment of a player who had been diagnosed with a concussion. Tuberville and McNeill were the only applicants interviewed to replace Leach.

Riley, who called offensive plays in Texas Tech's 41-31 win over Michigan State in the Valero Alamo Bowl, released a statement asking the school's supporters to back the new regime and the players, according to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

"I know many people are upset about many things that have happened, but that is the hand that we have all been dealt," Riley wrote, according to the report. "During this time it is important for all Texas Tech fans to pull together behind the new staff and, most importantly, the players. You have a special group of young men that represent you, and I encourage every Red Raider to never take that for granted."

Meanwhile, "Team Leach," a group of Leach's supporters, was planning to demonstrate Thursday on campus in support of the fired coach.

"[The rally] is to show there are a significant number of people who have concerns about the way coach Leach was fired," group spokesman Charlie Hodges said, according to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. "We have a number of questions we'd like to have answers to. We don't want anything swept under the rug."

Guess Tech is screwed for the next 3 years as we turn into a SEC team...

SEC teams play defense. If you havnt noticed it has worked out pretty well in the recent past. Tubs is also very loyal to his staff, and it's pretty much the standard MO to bring in your own staff.

Tubs was the coach for all four of my years at Auburn. He is a good coach and a great guy. I held several positions within Greek life and he and Pat Dye had us over to Tubs' house for dinner several times. Once I was eating lunch at a BBQ place, it was packed, and he came in got his food walked over to my table and asked me by name if he could sit with me. It had been at least 6 months since we had been to his house.

Why should he keep all of Leach's staff? No good coach wants to come in without bringing their own guys, see tennessee. Maybe with Willis we can finally get rid of the "Red Carpet Defense".

Back