Texas State Fair: Deep Fried Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I think is funny, is how secretive he is and defensive he is about this "fried beer" like somebody is going to start up a rival fried beer stand at the local fair ala 80's movie style and compete with him. Either that or he has the delusion that he'll open some fried beer megachain.

Hmmmm...... I'm guessing he couldn't sell them without a license? Part of the ingredients in the mix is one thing but beer actually contained? I wonder if he even could sell them.

Tried this this past Sunday... pretty much one of the worst things I've ever tasted. Certainly didn't taste like beer, unless that beer had gotten infected by acetobacter. Also, it was cold; I sure hadn't expected piping hot for safety reasons, but being cold did not help the taste at all.

I think I am still going to try it. Only so I can take a video of it and post it here so those of you who want to see what it looks like up close and how nasty it is to eat can do so.

Here's a pic of me eating that disgusting stuff - as I said in another thread, it tastes like salty undercooked dough with Cheese Whiz on top. Take my advice and just walk right on by that booth.

P1020379.jpg

Well, now that I have a picture to shatter my dream of it being "not that bad" I think I will. We're going next Sunday so I've got to try SOMETHING stupidly deepfried. last year's fried butter was like soggy biscuit dough with 1/2 melted butter inside.

Well, now that I have a picture to shatter my dream of it being "not that bad" I think I will. We're going next Sunday so I've got to try SOMETHING stupidly deep fried. last year's fried butter was like soggy biscuit dough with 1/2 melted butter inside.

I'd go with a deep fried twinkie, ice cream or banana. :ban:

:off:

I wish that guy good luck in litigating his "Fried Beer" trademark, without adding something to it. Can I have a valid trademark on "fried ice-cream"? Probably not. "Texas Fried Beer" would have more success (e.g., "Kentucky Fried Chicken").

You mean like Anchor did with the term "STEAM" back in 1906? LOL

Well, now that I have a picture to shatter my dream of it being "not that bad" I think I will. We're going next Sunday so I've got to try SOMETHING stupidly deepfried. last year's fried butter was like soggy biscuit dough with 1/2 melted butter inside.

I'd go with a deep fried twinkie, ice cream or banana. :ban:

Definitely get the fried smores poptart. Won best taste at the fair, completely worth the arterial plaque.

Here's a pic of me eating that disgusting stuff - as I said in another thread, it tastes like salty undercooked dough with Cheese Whiz on top. Take my advice and just walk right on by that booth.
Didn't even see any cheese. Sounds like it wouldn't have helped at all.

this is good info, I think we're going on Saturday or Sunday afternoon this weekend.
Is the poptart battered and then deep fried? or just fried instead of toasted?

this is good info, I think we're going on Saturday or Sunday afternoon this weekend.
Is the poptart battered and then deep fried? or just fried instead of toasted?

Battered, deep fried, drizzled in chocolat syrup, and topped with whipped cream and powdered sugar. And I mistakenly said that it won best taste, that actually went to the Fried Frito Pie DeafSmith mentioned.

These are all the 2010 Big Tex Choice Awards finalists. I honestly wished I'd checked this list first, there were a lot of things I missed that I would have otherwise checked out; we found ourselves in Dallas a couple weeks before we planned on going with some free time and my bored younger brother, so we went on the spur of the moment.

Back