TERRIBLE week for my brew life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Started on Saturday night when my brother (whom I allow to live with me) got home inebriated and knocked over my small 7.2 cu ft chest freezer where 10 gallons of my marzen were about 2 weeks into fermenting happily at 48°
I was furious, he cleaned up the mess, I poured one out for my dead Oktoberfest, and got over it.
A friend came over today to brew a simple 5 gallon golden promise IPA. Temp probes in my keggles were too high for this lil beer. Both worm gear clamps BROKE on my immersion chiller. Managed to quickly find a few more and no water got in the wort. Chilled it quickly.
Went to set the temp for the ferm freezer on the stc 1000+...... and the compressor doesn't kick on. Double checked everything. It's dead. We didn't use any special yeast and decided to let it ferment in my basement on its own. Right around then my wife found what looked to be an identical freezer on a local fb group for 100 bucks. Drove 5 minutes and picked it up. At some point from my house to the freezer I LOST the hundred dollar bill my brother had JUST given me to cover this fridge.
We get it home, plug it in, and open her up. It is slightly smaller and will not fit two carboys unlike the broken one directly behind it. I just came out of pocket $100 for a freezer that will not do the job.
Well, at least the golden promise IPA is fermenting at the agreed upon 68°
So annoyed....

That's some quality inebriation. Can't visualize how it would be possible to tip over a 7 cu ft chest freezer even empty, even harder with 10 gallons of beer in it.

I've got two and they are a struggle to move empty.

Your brother doesn't look like this after a few does he?

"Don't get him drunk. You wouldn't like him when he's drunk"

rs_634x695-141209143707-634.hulk-lou-ferrigno.jpg

Nah, haha. Not exactly. Also there was no reason for him to even be near it that night.

I'm leaning towards going full stupid and blowing $340 for a new 11 cu ft unit I saw on the Sears website.

So aggravated

Nah, haha. Not exactly. Also there was no reason for him to even be near it that night.

I'm leaning towards going full stupid and blowing $340 for a new 11 cu ft unit I saw on the Sears website.

So aggravated

If you can wait until Black Friday I would...I got my 7.2 chest freezer for 150 bucks with tax and free delivery!

:rockin:

Do what I do -- the thing you have-and-or-purchased is frustrating you? Try working on a DIY solution when you're pissed off, then buy a new one whenever you inevitably **** it up. It's honestly about as American as you can get. Why DIY when we can pay someone else to?

Seriously though, try building a fermentation chamber with that $100 fridge that can fit multiple carboys.

7.2CF Tips over?! omg.. that's some drunk behavior... I mean you have to WANT to tip it over...

Solution is get a 14.7cf freezer. That thing will tip HIM over ;)

Sorry for your loss.

Sounds to me like brother was engaging in drunk power lifting! How else could he knock over a freezer he shouldn't be near?!

Latest posts

Back