Surprised by carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkuhl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know why my blackbriar mead might have gotten carbonated? I opened a bottle and it foamed. Nothing major, nothing explosive or gushy but there are definitely bubbles as if I carbonated it. The recipe was 2.5 lbs honey, 1 gallon water, cloves, cinnamon stick, rosehips and blackberries, I used lalbrew premium series ale yeast and it's also one of the first meads I made, started fermentation on 10/02/20 and bottled 12/05/21 after seeing an FG of 1.010 (10% ABV) twice with a week between readings. It started at 1.085. It was in fermentation for 3 months with almost no activity, still in the bottle (until now). Nothing added in secondary. I brought three bottles home after bottling, temperature here is about the same as it is in my apartment, so they only spent maybe 3-4 hours at whatever temperature my car was while traveling.

I don't mind that it's carbonated (it's not carbonated much) and in fact I might purposely carbonate the next batch, but I don't really get why it carbonated. Was it perhaps stuck and I didn't recognize it?

I will say being one of my first meads, I didn't follow a lot of best practices, or add nutrients since I didn't know about it at the time, it was a very slow ferment.

Yep, your FG was 1.010 and even though a week of steady readings sounds like it wasnt completely done. If you didnt inhibit, remove or kill the yeast they can very slowly still eat some of the remaining sugars.

Yep, your FG was 1.010 and even though a week of steady readings sounds like it wasnt completely done. If you didnt inhibit, remove or kill the yeast they can very slowly still eat some of the remaining sugars.

+1 at 1.010 it probably just wasn't done fermenting yet. I sometimes bottle on purpose around that SG level, in order to get some carbonation -- as you mentioned.

So -- pretend that you did it on purpose, and declare victory :)

Yeah, it was otherwise delicious and the carbonation added to it.

I did however worry about it since I had a bottle in my apartment and I was 300 miles away at my parents house for two weeks and I didn't want that bottle to explode. Fortunately came home, found the bottle intact, opened it to burp it a bit, and then put it in the fridge.

Surprise carbonation is fine, but surprise exploding bottle not so much lmao.

Just a couple observations and general rules I live by.

When I bottle I do so in beer bottles. (They can handle some pressure)

If i want carbonation i will bottle at 1.005 SG. Then I get about 2.5 volumes of CO2 if it drops to 1.000 while in the bottle.

If i want a sweet mead "still" then i bottle, cap and immediately kill the yeast through heating to 160 Deg F.

Note-Refrigeration does slow the yeast. Some yeasts (D47 as an example) still can very, very slowly can eat the remaining sugars. (Months)

I'll be drinking it fast enough that any yeast activity that continues while refrigerated won't cause a problem. Lalbrew Nottingham's lower bound for temperature is 50F (10C) so it should be safe for the time being.

I'll keep in mind 1.005 for any future carbonation plans, though I might use fizz drops or other methods.

Hah, don't believe published tempertures. I once used a yeast for soda that had a lower temp of 59F. Put it in the fridge at below 40 and had the first one wrap the cap around the opener. Other yeasts will stall out 3 degrees above the lower temp. I bought kegs because of this.

Latest posts

Back