Stone IPA similar clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pietro75

Reaction score
OK, I have attempted a simple extract recipe for Stone IPA. The ingredients are as follows.

1lb. C60L
9lbs. of light Pale ale LME
2oz. US Magnum
1oz. Centennial
1oz. Amarillo(dry hop)
1 tsp. Irish moss
safale-05

Steeped 60L in 3qts. of weak wort(gravity 1.010)for 40 min. @155
Added 1.5lbs. of LME and brought to boil.
Added 1oz Magnum @ 60 min.
Added 1oz Magnum @ 30 min.
Added 7lbs. LME @ 25 min.
Added 1oz. Centennial @ 15 mi.
Added 1 tsp. of Irish moss @ 15
Had a safale-05 started in .5lb w/ 1qt. water for 24 hrs.

Pitched yeast @ 72 degrees

Fermenting now at 68 degrees and air lock is pumping away.

I plan to rack after about two weeks and dry hop for about ten days.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I do have a question for anyone who may have the knowledge.

My OG was 1.062. My Beersmith estimated 1.066. why would the gravity be that much lower?

airlock is smelling good!

There could be two reasons your OG measurement is low:

1) Incomplete mixing of wort with top-off water

2) Topped off to a higher volume than 5 gallons

Mixing wort with top off water takes a lot of stirring/shaking to completely homogenize.

Fermenting vessel volume lines are not known to be very accurate.

There could be two reasons your OG measurement is low:

1) Incomplete mixing of wort with top-off water

2) Topped off to a higher volume than 5 gallons

Mixing wort with top off water takes a lot of stirring/shaking to completely homogenize.

Fermenting vessel volume lines are not known to be very accurate.

Thanks, I may have topped of a bit above five gallons. I guess it isn't that big a deal. I'll drink it!

Stone has been known to change up their hop varieties when needed, and there website shows Columbus (bittering I'd guess) Chinook (dry hop maybe) and Centennial (finishing/flavor). Also, I think your recipe may be a touch heavy on the crystal malt, especially with what LME/DME leaves behind as unfermentables on its own. Also Stone supposedly uses something close to WLP007 Dry English Ale.

But in any event, your beer will no doubt taste great based on your ingredients. Check out Edwort's Bee Cave IPA, I believe its a Stone IPA-ish clone he and many others have perfected.

I did one that I thought was pretty close.

Magnum for bittering to 46 IBUs, 1.5 ozs Cent at flame-out and 1.5 ozs Cent dry hop.

This finished @ 1011 and I must say I was really thrilled w/ the taste,color and body. This was the first batch that I did using the late addition LME and I going close to full boil. For extract brewing I think the techniques in BYO article @ the link below is the a huge help.

http://***********/stories/techniqu...brewing/10-10-steps-to-better-extract-brewing

I have a Stone Ruination clone that I dry hopped last night. based on a recipe from BYO mag. as well. I used the tips from the BYO article for that as well( late addition LME, full boil...) This one is gonna be equally as good...IMHO

Awesome. I'm going to give this a shot soon. My weekends are pretty much booked for the next few, but definitely on deck. Thanks for the update.

Awesome. I'm going to give this a shot soon. My weekends are pretty much booked for the next few, but definitely on deck. Thanks for the update.

Just to let you know, this is great beer! I am finishing the keg tonight and will brew again.

Latest posts

Back