stock port after hyperactive fermentation - tried everything

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermontFreedom

Reaction score
Started a port kit. Primary fermentation in carboy proceeded normally until abnormally high indoor temps (80 degrees) caused fermentation to "burn itself out" (is that possible) in my opinion. Waited correct number of days (5-7) and took hydrometer readings. Not even close to level recipe specified (1.028 when should have been 1.010-1.015). Continued to wait hoping would bottom out as directed. No luck. As per directions, added requisite sugar in the hopes it would jump-start stuck/burned out yeast. No luck. Gave it several days. Stirred the must waited a couple of days. Nothing. All hydrometer readings still much higher than recommended. Added 1/2 tsp per gallon of yeast nutrient and two energizers along with 1 packet champagne yeast. Barely bubbling. Hydrometer readins still too high (1.030 when supposed to be 1.010-1.015). Seems I've tried everything, but it's not going to go again. Temps since the two days of 80s have been 60-70. Anything I can do?

Back