Starter tab in BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
Someone help me understand the Starter tab in BeerSmith. See the example screenshot below. For Yeast Cells Needed, it says 349.2B. I am using a dry yeast with a viable cell count of 54B per packet. But it only recommends 1.9 packets, which by my count would be 102.6B cells.

Why does it recommend less than a third the cell count when using a dry yeast versus when making a starter with liquid? I am assuming the 1.9 packets is correct as the yeast calculator on Lallemands website says the same amount - I'm just confused why this screen says it needs 349.2B

1669921177199.png

When you only have dry yeast in your recipe under the Design tab, the Starter page functionality is greatly reduced - it doesn't even pretend to do anything about a starter. Try deleting the dry yeast and add a liquid yeast (any one, really) and you'll see what that page is supposed to do...

Cheers!

Yeah, I noticed that when using a liquid yeast, the numbers made much more sense. It is just weird that regardless of dry or liquid, the "Yeast cells needed" is 349.2B but when using a dry yeast, the suggested usage amount is 1/3 that. Why wouldn't you need 349.2B cells regardless of whether it is dry or liquid?

"Yeast Cells Without Starter" isn't a recommendation, it should simply reflect your cells per pack times the number of packs in your recipe.

I plugged your yeast strain into a random neipa recipe and this is what I see. Biggest question I have now is why the cell count per pack on your example is so much lower than this:

1669934907478.png

This all seems to make sense: based on cells needed by the recipe volume and OG the tool suggests two ways to get there based on packet sizes, but I don't use Lallemand so I don't know if those package sizes are correct. What is the net gram weight of the packs you're using?

Cheers!

Ok, I manually edited the cells per pack to 100B (from 200B) and this is what happened:

1669935677013.png

BS3 adjusted the number of 5gram packs, but left the 11.5 gram pack count unchanged, even though I had halved the per pack cell count.
Interestingly there's no reference to the pack sizes in the BS3 yeast parameter sets. And I have no idea what size that yeast comes in.
If I were to assume they only come in 5 gram packs I supposed one could claim the above is proper-ish...

1669935872509.png

Cheers!

Interesting. The ingredient profile for that yeast in my BeerSmith says 60B cells per pack. I just looked it up on Lallemand's site and it says the cell count should be 5 x 10^9 per gram of dry yeast. For an 11g packet, wouldn't that be 55B?

Lol of course. I'll see if there's an update for the yeast plug-in...but that's not going to fix what looks like broken math for 11.5 gram packs.

[edit] Apparently the Lallemand yeasts are contained in a base set of BS3 strains and no apparent way to update them outside of a software version update - and I'm already at the latest version...

Last edited:
might explain why the last time I used that yeast it did not fully attenuate. Didn't put enough 11g packs in.
I might shoot an email to BS to see what Brad says

Latest posts

Back