Stainless Steel Fermentation Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jclarkey

Reaction score
So I finally got around to finishing up my Fermentation Chamber over the weekend and I must say I am over the moon with the results!

I was able to score an amazing deal on this commercial grade, under counter, STAINLESS fridge unit on kijiji. These things retail on ebay for $700-900 and I picked it up for a cool….$85!!!!!! It is in near perfect condition and holds 3 carboys with room to spare.

I will say that the actual refrigeration this thing pumps out is way overkill (I think it is on setting #1) but it was to pretty to not pick up.

60YUOmt.jpg

I decided that this unit would always be a ferm chamber or maybe a kegerator at some point so I opted to install the STC-1000 right on the unit.

PCwzdwU.jpg

The stainless was actually really simple to cut through and it made for a perfect fit.

N3B69aY.jpg

I also installed 3 LED lights for reference since the STC was mounted flush this would be a great way to get a quick visual reference to what the unit was doing. Green = power to entire unit, Red = heat on, Blue = fridge on.

Zi9qNgd.jpg

I had my buddy who is an electrician come and wire up everything for me. We installed a small piece of conduit (not visible) through the fridge wall to run power to the heater and the thermo probe. This way if I want to upgrade, or add/remove cables I can do so without to much hassle. Yes there is a backing to that box and I also plan on adding a piece of plexiglass to the back to protect the remaining wires.

Nyq8ENg.jpg

Quick shot of the inside. The black thing on the carboy is a piece of plastic with some foam underneath. The temp probe is under there. The other thing is the heater. I definitely need to downgrade as it takes up a lot of space and really is to powerful for this application.

TVl1VHX.jpg

My future brewing area. Should be drywalled in a couple of weeks.

qBtEmHQ.jpg

The LEDs in action.

hT7nL6u.gif

Now I just need to get a batch in this sucker! Hopefully brewing in a couple weeks.

Whoooooa. I want that on of those. You got it for $85? I'll give ya $90

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

so jealous of that score

I can still hardly believe it myself!! I sorta feel like it was a waste of an amazing fridge but fermentation temp is so important that I know in the end it will pay off. On the plus side when not in use I just crank it up to 11 and chill my bottles in like 2 hours!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back