Stainless Quick Connect O-Ring Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a Spike system that uses the ball-lock style stainless quick connect couplings on all the hoses. They have an internal O-ring on the mating surface between the male and female couplings. I went to brew this weekend and found that one of my female couplings was missing the internal silicon O-ring.

I went to a couple local hardware stores and nobody was able to get a matching O-ring that worked. I found two that were very close but they were too thick and the ball bearing in the coupling wouldn't reach the groove to latch onto the male coupling. The sizes are not published anywhere that I can find.

Does anyone know what size these are? They are available from Spike (and I went ahead and just ordered a bunch of spares), but it sure would be nice to know what the actual size is so I could walk into a hardware store and tell them what size I need instead of hunting through the book for 45 minutes.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 11.26.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 11.26.28 AM.png

Measuring my spares, looks like 13/16 inch (20.6mm) external diameter of the whole seal, 1/8 inch (3.2mm) diameter of the rubber ring itself.
Thanks Bruce, I measured mine as well, but O-ring sizes can be as precise as 5/1000th's which is very difficult to measure on a rubber part unless you use calipers.

I started a service Ticket with Spike and asked this same question, they just responded that these O-rings are a custom part and that you have to order them directly from Spike. I find that more than a little obnoxious but that explains why I couldn't readily find a replacement

They are metric for sure.
Spike responded that they are a custom part. Is that not the case?

I see that you sell similar o-rings but I'm not 100% sure if the ones you have fit the spike QD's because they have that oversized barb and a larger ID.

OD 21mm CS 3mm (15mm ID)
I ordered a bunch from Aliexpress, and they are the same size as the ones from Spike. I also confirmed dimensions of both with calipers.

Spike responded that they are a custom part. Is that not the case?

I see that you sell similar o-rings but I'm not 100% sure if the ones you have fit the spike QD's because they have that oversized barb and a larger ID.
They are the same. I made the 5/8 barb version first. I can tell you the metric size when I get to the shop tomorrow.

Back