Spike CF5 heat jacket wire failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with the power wire on your spike heat jacket pulling out?

I noticed it wasn't heating like it should and went to double check the wiring. When i gave it a gentle jiggle, the wires just pulled free from the heat pad.

I've only had it for about 4 months and it hasn't been subjected to high stress.

I opened a support ticket with @SpikeBrewing so we'll see if they can help. I'm just curious if others have had this issue and if there's a simple fix?

I can't remove the neoprene jacket to get to the heater because there's a beer in there right now, and the neoprene requires me to remove the sight glass and elbow to get it off. Luckily it's a lager and i think it will be ok at ambient temps right now, but i won't be able to diacetyl rest.
07D55654-A503-4CD6-9088-B3A6742F49F3.jpeg
27B505E4-D5D9-4F80-AD6F-F5DFAAB2FA32.jpeg
309CDE8F-1566-46F0-BAE1-A250071AD821.jpeg

Last edited:
I got my wife to help me maneuver the fermenter out for a better picture and the glue or rubber weld that held the power wire connection completely failed.

There is a rubber rectangle with the wires embedded in it welded to the heating pad, and it slid off at the glue/weld when I lightly pushed on it with my fingers. Like it took almost zero force, about the same amount as sliding a film of keg lube between your fingers.

524F8E54-7B3E-4CEC-BF8C-BB87560D2AAE.jpeg
94CF4CB3-0858-464F-BDB2-7552C1EF24F2.jpeg

I wouldn't attempt to repair it until you see what help Spike offers. But I'm sure the wires can be reattached. It may require cutting the jacket back a bit to access where they attach to the heating strip but if man made it, man can fix it.

This is an unfortunate weak point in the Spike heating pad. I had the wires fall out about 3 months into use, which Spike kindly replaced. Now I can tell that the replacement is starting to fail, so I've instead been putting a cheap fermwrap into the neoprene jacket. This is much more robust, though heats the beer just as much as the cone.

Happy New Year!

This is an unfortunate weak point in the Spike heating pad. I had the wires fall out about 3 months into use, which Spike kindly replaced. Now I can tell that the replacement is starting to fail, so I've instead been putting a cheap fermwrap into the neoprene jacket. This is much more robust, though heats the beer just as much as the cone.

Happy New Year!
Thanks! I may go that route. If they do send me a new one I'll look into reinforcing the wires and strain relieving it in case of accidental tugs while cleaning

Incidentally, if you look on their website, virtually all of the reviews for these say that they failed and needed to be replaced so this seems to be an ongoing design issue.

Thanks! I may go that route. If they do send me a new one I'll look into reinforcing the wires and strain relieving it in case of accidental tugs while cleaning

Incidentally, if you look on their website, virtually all of the reviews for these say that they failed and needed to be replaced so this seems to be an ongoing design issue.
I can't see it clearly enough but it looks like a small blob of solder in that third pic.
And is there solder on the wire strands, it kind of looks that way in the first pic, again not clear enough.
But, if that is the case it would seem to have gotten hot enough to melt the solder and damage the rubber. Both a bad sign especially if the replacements are doing the same thing.
Possibly a high resistance in the connection caused by a poor connection.
Could have been a cold solder joint (if soldered) or a dirty or inadequate crimp if it is crimped.
Either could cause a hot connection and failure, potentially a fire. Let's hope not.
If you sniff in that hole where the connection lived, does it smell bad, like burned rubber?

Last edited:
I can't see it clearly enough but it looks like a small blob of solder in that third pic.
And is there solder on the wire strands, it kind of looks that way in the first pic, again not clear enough.
But, if that is the case it would seem to have gotten hot enough to melt the solder and damage the rubber. Both a bad sign especially if the replacements are doing the same thing.
Possibly a high resistance in the connection caused by a poor connection.
Could have been a cold solder joint (if soldered) or a dirty or inadequate crimp if it is crimped.
Either could cause a hot connection and failure, potentially a fire. Let's hope not.
If you sniff in that hole where the connection lived, does it smell bad, like burned rubber?
No there was no sign of melting or any smell of burned rubber. It looks and feels more like chemical degradation or water degradation of the rubber where the connection was embedded.

Just by looking at it, I think it was not soldered at all, I think the connections were twisted together and placed into a form and then molten rubber was poured over the twisted connections to secured them and embed them in the rubber.

i have the CF10 with the temp bundle. I currently have beering lagering in it with no issues so far. It hasnt moved much since I put it together this summer. I have had a few issues with Spike's equipment so I am not surprised they seem to have issues with the jacket (pump suddenly stopped working, temperature probe won't calibrate, and possibly an issue with their PRV). However, they have fantastic customer service and have sent me replacement equipment - no questions asked. BAck to the jacket, I have not moved/touched the conical much since I put it together (only two batches fermented in it) so mine may not have failed for this reason.

Spike just got back to me and replaced it, no questions asked. Always great customer service, and no need to identify a fix.

Thanks all!

Back