Spiedel plastic tanks - aging beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchomebrew

Reaction score
I'm considering picking up a couple of the plastic Spiedel fermenters (60L/15.9g maybe even the 30g). The purpose of using these would be for some mid-term aging of some beers, specifically doing some lacto/sach/brett mixed culture fermentations (no pedio). I've used 5 gal. carboys in the past for this sort of thing. It's generally taking me about 3mo. from brew day to bottling. I understand there is some O2 exposure that these HPDE tanks permit, but it's pretty minimal. So, for the purposes of a 3 mo. to 6 mo. aging process, was curious if anyone has used these with any success. Anything longer than 6 mo. I currently age in glass carboys. Most of the posts I've seen are usually asking for advice for 1 yr. aging with these, and common consensus is that it's not a great idea. But, with a shorter term aging, I'm thinking these could be a great solution.

Also heard about the plastic spigots leaking ? Are the chrome spigots better or do those leak also ? Any alternatives anyone is using if these do infact leak ?

Thanks.

I can't speak to the o2 exposure, but I do have my first sour going in one at the moment. I have four of them, 2 30's and 2 60's, I have never had a spigot leak.

How great is the Chrome spigot for the speidel fermenter? Can you drain fermented beer through it without picking trub?

Latest posts

Back