Soda regulator shutoffs: brass or Duotight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryemonkey

Reaction score
I picked up a new dual body secondary regulator with the plan of finally converting my kegerator over to Evabarrier on the gas side. I got a regulator that's all MFL fittings, but didn't notice that it didn't have shutoffs. Just didn't think to look. I think it's a soda regulator but the price was low enough that the 100 psi gauges weren't a deal-breaker. I do have a spare MFL manifold, so I was going to just swap the shutoffs/check valves over. Daggum, those are on there tight. I don't even know how I could get the secondary regulator into a vise to remove the fittings in the first place. Then I remembered that Duotight makes a ball valve. Any trouble in just connecting the shutoff in my gas line? I was going to put a wye splitter on one of the regulator bodies anyway, but it seems like I could just use Duotight tees and some ball valves and have a little more flexibility in rearranging my serving pressures should I need it.

I had a duotight ball valve between my regulator and manifold for a several months for when i needed to reuse my tank for something other than my keezer. Had zero issues with it. Now that i have two tanks i don’t need it there anymore and instead have it placed on my last line in the keezer for various odd ideas i have in my head.

I picked up a new dual body secondary regulator with the plan of finally converting my kegerator over to Evabarrier on the gas side. I got a regulator that's all MFL fittings, but didn't notice that it didn't have shutoffs. Just didn't think to look. I think it's a soda regulator but the price was low enough that the 100 psi gauges weren't a deal-breaker. I do have a spare MFL manifold, so I was going to just swap the shutoffs/check valves over. Daggum, those are on there tight. I don't even know how I could get the secondary regulator into a vise to remove the fittings in the first place. Then I remembered that Duotight makes a ball valve. Any trouble in just connecting the shutoff in my gas line? I was going to put a wye splitter on one of the regulator bodies anyway, but it seems like I could just use Duotight tees and some ball valves and have a little more flexibility in rearranging my serving pressures should I need it.

That would work. I have some in line on my gas side. I've had one bad one out of a bunch that leaked from the get-go, but the rest have been good.
Some people have had problems with the Duotight flare fittings cracking over time. I have not experienced this, but it might be worth considering using barbs for the connection to the regulator.

In any case, I recommend getting the little collar locks for the fittings to keep them from leaking if they get jostled. Pushing in the fitting loosens it; these prevent it from pushing in.

20201031_122204.jpg

Latest posts

Back