Snow beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad used to have one of those mugs you put in the freezer and he would put Rolling Rock into it and have a beer slushie. I never acquired a taste for RR or beer slushies

What are the advantages of collecting snow for making beer? Soft water?
Every time I read about brewers making beer of snow I feel I'm missing something.

Is it like Free RO Water falling from the sky? And me, still not collecting and making use of it?!

i got a 55-100 gallon, whatever, rain barrel....it's got algea and crap in it....i wonder if i should send a sample off to ward/white labs to get it anylized? figure out what stye goes best with "rain barrel, barrel aged" ... if it's a stout i'm calling it "black tar venom", if it's a lager...then "white lady venom" 🤣

and i want a vitamin anylis too! algea was cool when i was a toddler....and it does look blue greenish...

Last edited:
And me, still not collecting and making use of it?!

don't worry..there's people on this board...living in hawaii, that don't make use of the lava flows for free heat for the boil...i mean seriously, like BIAB, they rig something up where you mash a certain elevation above, then lower the kettle under the bag to bring it to a boil....

honestly, i don't know why i'm having such a good time.

I've heard you can scorch snow while trying to met it in a pot. Never tried myself. Seems too easy to just use water.

Mom use to make snow ice cream for us too. We thought it was such a treat back in the early 60's as toddlers. Now we know she was just giving us a cheap sugar fix so she wouldn't have to run to the store!

Snake venom or any other ingredient isn't odd. Everything has been used for beer. Snow is more fun to talk about at the moment.

Well, I've used sea water in a brew once.
Not much, just a cup. Like, sentimentally, to have a bit of ocean in my beer. And also to add some fresh Na and Cl ions to my salts.

Never thought of using snow, though. If it ever falls this winter, need to try. Why not? I'll even make a home water test on It: pH, TDS, GH, KH, Ca, Mg. Pity, I have no tests for indusrial pollutants.

Yes, I'm aware I should avoid the yellow variety when collecting the samples, or the analysis could come out skewed :D

6D68259F-BF91-47C1-A386-AD0F401415EF.jpeg

I‘ve got some snow beer right here. Not a lot, just a 3 qt bowl full at flame out. :)

How would you scorch snow? It's just water.
Like I said, I've never done it. I believe it was in some outdoor survival books I had as a kid circa mid 60's. Snow is a good insulator for and isn't really easy to melt when you fill a pot completely full of it and no liquid. Probably the snow melts about as fast as if you had a small squirt gun and shot it on a hot skillet. It'd all just steam off before you could collect any water. The scorching taste they cautioned about is maybe just the oxidized aluminum and cast iron stuff we used back when outdoors camping.

The suggestion was to find ice when possible as you get more water per volume collected. If all you had was snow, then don't be in a hurry and don't use high heat till it's melted enough to give you enough water to saturate the rest of the snow.

A cubic foot of water is 7.48 gallons. A cubic foot of snow will only provide 3/4 gallon if light and fluffy, or maybe 1.5 gallons if more packed.

Back