Small batch Trippel attempt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
Aloha, brohas,

I'm working on writing up a Belgian Trippel recipe. I think I have a decent start, but I could use any advice I can get from people who are more familiar with trappist ales and such. I'm a small (1-2 gallon) batch, BIAB, minimalist brewer at this point, so sometimes getting ratios for my small batches can be tough.

Belgian Trippel

Batch Size: ~1.5 Gallons
Predicted OG: 1.09
Predicted abv: 9.5-10%
IBU: 30.2

Recipe

3lbs. Belgian Pilsen malt
6oz. Caravienne (Cara 20)
6oz. (edit) cane sugar
10g Northern Brewer hops (6.5%aa)
7g Czech Saaz hops (3.1%aa)
Abeye dry yeast OR Trappist high gravity

Process

Single mash, strike at 158 for 60 minutes
Edit: Mash temp ~150
Boil (60 minutes)
10g NB hops at start of boil
3.5g Saaz hops at 45 minutes
3.5g Saaz hops at 55 minutes
Remove from heat and stir in sugar until dissolved

How does it look so far? I'm thinking a month in primary, then three weeks in bottle and it should be good to go. Is the sugar being added at a good time here?

Any and all advice is much appreciated, as I am but a lowly n00b. This is brew #3/recipe#2 for me.

Thanks, all <3

I would swap the dark candi sugar with jsut regular old sugar. The color will be all wrong with the dark sugar

whats the mash temp? I would do 150 at the most for a tripel

you could try fermentis abbaye. That would be your best bet for dry yeast choices. But IMO, if you want an autehntic tasting tripel, you gotta use some liquid yeasts. Belgian beers are all about the yeast, so I always start from there on up when designing the recipe

also what fermentation temps are you planning. Letting it free rise (while insulated for me) gets you the most vibrant yeast character IME

The mash temp was actually going to be higher than that, so thanks for the advice! And the regular sugar should be just as doable as dark, so I'll change that, too. I was going to have it fermenting around 70-72, just because that's the ambient temperature in my house and I have no temp control gear as of yet.

Also, what do you mean by regular sugar? Just like, plain white sugar? Or non-dark candi sugar?

like plain ol sugar you buy at a grocery store. Trust me, itll do the exact same thing as candi sugar. The candi syrups are a different story, but I would just save money and use that. I go through about 5lbs of sugar a month with all the IPAs and Belgians I make

best way to cheap temperature control I used:
- get a rope tub from a hardware store
- add fermentor then fill tub with water
- stick oversized shirt on fermentor so the shirt draws up water as the non-submersed portion dries
- stick a fan at it to maximize the evaporative cooling effect

Awesome! I can definitely handle plain ol' sugar. And that's a solid idea on the temp control. My apartment may be a little cramped for it, but I'll see what I can throw together. For now I'm hoping my porter didn't get pitched/ferment too hot, because it kiiinda seems like it fizzled out too fast :c

Back