slight cidery, sweet off-flavor question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss0033

Reaction score
A question for you all. I have been doing 2.5-3 gallon BIAB batches on the stove for a little while now.

My last 6 batches have all had this sweet, slightly cidery flavor to them that I cannot stand, I have ended up giving most of the beer away, some others pick it up some dont. For me its almost overpowering. These have been a IIPA, a Pale ale, 2 IPAs, and an APA. So in the grand scheme of things, similar style beers. My beer also usually ends up with a ton of foam, not beer head like foam, almost a soapy type foam. The third issue is the beer tastes good for about 2 weeks as the hop flavor and aroma is strong enough to partially mask the sweet/cidery taste but after 2 weeks or so the hop aroma is gone altogether and the flavor is has largely dissipated.

Some of the questions about my process. I usually heat my strike water to around 160-163, pitch grain, and the temperature holds around 151-153. I stir every 15-20 minutes or so and usually only have to add heat once. But the temp outside the bag and inside the bag end up being a few degrees apart Outside the bag can stay around 160, and inside the bag can be 10 degrees cooler... Any thoughts on this?

I do it on the stove, so for the 3 gallons batches it can sometime take 30-40 minutes to get up to a boil, but once it does it is usually a fairly strong boil. Would this cause any problems? I leave the kettle covered until it gets to a boil then remove cover and it can keep the boil going. If I try to bring it to a boil uncovered it can take almost 90 minutes...

I squeeze the bag fairly hard about my usual 7-90 minute mash and do a small batch spare with some 170 degree watch for a faux mash-out. I dont think this would case much trouble.

I have tried several types of whirlpooling hop additions. I have added hops at flameout and let it cool to 180ish on its own, then chill with copper wort chiller. I have chilled to 180 with wort chiller and then added some hops and let it cool to about 120 on its own then further chilled with wort chiller. Am I causing more problems by doing this? Is one method better?

When I rack to primary I end up sucking up a whole bunch of cold break, it never really settles to the bottom of my kettle. Since it is usually only 2.75-3.25 gallons going into fermenter it cools quite quickly with wort chiller and makes a lot of cold break. Do I need to let it sit longer and have it all settle to bottom? A lot of trub goes into the fermenter, usually about 1.5 compacted layer after primary. Does this lead to any off flavors?

I also end up racking on top of a lot of star-san foam. But everywhere I read it says dont fear the foam. but with 3 gallons going into a 5 gallon car boy, there is a lot of headspace with foam left in it, and doesnt get completely pushed out by the wort. Problems here?

I have dry-hopped in primary after complete, and dry-hopped after a transfer to secondary. I noticed no real noticeable difference. I have a small handheld co2 thing that I spray a small blanket into my 3-gallon secondary carboy. I once did a 2.5 gallon batch in a 3 gallon carboy and the krausen pushed into the airlock, that is why I use a 5 gallon for primary.

One beer I used S-04 with a 64-ish degree ambient, and it shot up to around 74-76, so I can explain that crappy flavor. But all the other beers have been around 64 ambient too but havent shot up that high, maybe 68-70 which is still in range for 1272 and WLP001 as the other 2 I have been using, with 1L 24hour starters. I have read high ferm temp could be the cause of these flavors, but i still seem to be in range of the correct temps for the yeast I am using... Temp comes from fermometer strip on side of carboy (so I guess 2-4 degrees higher in center of wort as compared to side of carboy). Could this be the problem? Any ideas to control ferm temp? I dont think swamp cooler is an option, and I dont have a spare fridge to use. I just use dark corner of basement.

The beer samples taste great before fermentation, and sometimes i can slightly taste it after primary, but I have always tasted the off flavor it in the bottles. They all seem to have this same flavor. I have tried my tap water, spring water, RO water with additives, and have ended up with this same flavor every time.

The last batch was a head hunter clone recipe from this site, and I got the strongest cidery/sweet flavor yet and virtually no hop presence...

I am beginning to get frustrated and havent felt like brewing in about 2 months. Please somebody help me fix this. Is this an oxidation problem? how can I fix that? Is this a fermentation problem? A process problem?

Please help me...

Edit, I had quite a number of batches without these flavors, I am not sure what changed. I have always been within .001-.002 of my OG and FG actually (expect the first 4-5 batches to dial in my process and efficiency).

"The last batch was a head hunter clone recipe from this site, and I got the strongest cidery/sweet flavor yet and virtually no hop presence..."

Could it be that you are doing a concentrated boil and then adding top up water? It could be under hopped if you are not compensating for this.

It sounds like a mash pH issue with lighter colored beers, if it only happens in IPAs/APAs, etc, and not dark beers like a stout.

Temperature could play a part, especially if pitching temperature is above 70 degrees, though.

You said you've used different waters, but do you have any documentation about the recipe/water when you used 100% RO water? The mash pH would still be too high, but with RO water it would be closer and I wonder if that beer is a bit better than something with tap water.

Thanks for the feedback.

When I "built" my water, i used distilled water and added

Gypsum 3.4 g/gal
Epsom 2.14 g/gal
CaCl .16 g/gal
Baking soda 1g/gal
CaCo3 .5g/gal

I usually have close to 6 gallons of water to start, so I add according to either 5.5, 6, or whatever my starting water volume is, maybe I should be adding for what my final water volume with be... closer to 2.5 or 3. I hadn't thought about that until just typing this out now.

The recipe was:

5.5 lbs 2-row
2.5 lbs Maris otter
9 oz carahell
9oz crystal malt
6oz flaked wheat
3 oz carapils
7.5oz dextrose

60 minute mash at 151
.3 oz Centennial (mash)

I did a 3.5 gallon mash, 1 gallon dunk sparge (@ 170 deg), 1.25 gallon fly sparge (170)

3mL hopshot at 90 minutes
.15 pz citra @ 45 & 30
.15 oz centennial @ 45 & 30

.5 oz of Simcoe, centennial, and columbus @ 1 minute

hit OG of 1.068 @ 74 degrees, pitched 1L WLP001 starter. (The recipe called for WLP001, but my scribbled notes say "1272...?" so I cannot remember which I used anymore) Maybe I pitched too hot, or possibly too much yeast?

in 12 days it was down to 1.011 and a steady 64 degrees. Dry hopped in primary with .6 oz each of Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, and Columbus.

Took it to local home brew shop, and they said they got a slight astringency, a very, very slight cidery taste, but agreed no hint of simcoe at all. Slight flavor of columbus and centennial, a decent amount of citra, but no where near what I should be getting given the recipe. they were sure if oxidation happened, or fermentation temp problem, they agreed it had a strange flavor, not necessarily a typical "off-flavor" so it was hard to pin point what might be happening.

I think for my next batch, a heady topper type clone, I am going to get 6 gallons of distilled water.
I will use 8 grams gypsum and 5 grams epsom salt. Thats it, keep it simple. Keepa closer watch on fermentation temps - my basement has been a steady 63 degrees for about a week, maybe I will try to cool the wort to 60 before pitching. And see what I can do to prevent oxidation, not sure what I did that would cause that.

I think for my next batch, a heady topper type clone, I am going to get 6 gallons of distilled water.
I will use 8 grams gypsum and 5 grams epsom salt. Thats it, keep it simple. Keepa closer watch on fermentation temps - my basement has been a steady 63 degrees for about a week, maybe I will try to cool the wort to 60 before pitching. And see what I can do to prevent oxidation, not sure what I did that would cause that.

Yes, using all of that stuff, especially chalk, is detrimental and could easily explain off-flavors. The good(?) news is that the chalk probably didn't dissolve anyway and didn't make it worse than it would have been without it hopefully.

You can use the gypsum and the epsom salt if you'd like (I don't generally use epsom salt). Use a spreadsheet, and target a mash pH of 5.4. This will require a bit of acid, and NOT chalk. You can use lactic acid, or phosphoric acid, and if you're using distilled water you shouldn't need much.

Back