Six Months Between Brews, Need a Refresher.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obese Chess

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

So, I did my first brew day about six months ago before getting back surgery and have immediately forgotten how to do everything due to being out of practice. My first beer came out wonderfully, so I'm trying to stay as close to doing what worked as possible. That being the case, I need a refresher and will be basing my steps on this thread that I made previously:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/brew-day-tomorrow-check-my-work.669923/

In this case, I am making an American Pale Ale, a very simple one.

Ingredients:
10lb Crisp Chevallier Heritage Malt
1.00 oz Cluster [6.5%] (60 min)
.5 oz East Kent Golding [6.2%] (40 min)
.5 oz East Kent Golding [6.2%] (20 min)
Imperial A43 Loki Kveik

So here's the steps:
1. Preheat mash tun with hot water. Heat appropriate amount (looks like 3.3 gal) of strike water to 162 to mash at 148.

2. Stir water and grains into mash tun. Keep some extra hot water around in case temperature drops too low.

3. While mashing (single step infusion, one hour) heat 5 gal sparge water to 170.

4. After one hour, drain fluid from mash tun, one quart at a time, into a pitcher and gently pour that back over the grainbed. Repeat process until fluid coming from mash tun is free of debris.

5. Once clear of debris, start to gently drain wort into 10-gal brew kettle. Take gravity reading.

6. Add sparge water to achieve pre-boil volume of about 6.4 gallons.

7. Once gravity is reached, boil wort in 10-gal brew kettle and add hops according to schedule. Boil GENTLY, do not boil at rolling boil as too much wort will boil off.

8. After boil is finished, cool with immersion chiller.

9. Once wort is cooled, dump kettle into bucket for primary fermentation.

10. Take gravity reading. Stir/aerate pitch yeast according to directions. Seal bucket, attach airlock, store in cool dark place until done.

Do I still have this figured out? Excited to be back at it!

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty good. Changes I would suggest are to move the 2 East Kent Goldings to different times. I'd put the first one in at 60 and the second one at either 5 or 10. Most of the bittering is done in the first 30 minutes so a 40 minute addition is mostly bittering anyway so avoid confusion and put it in with the Cluster. The second addition will be for flavor/aroma and you don't want all the aromatic oils driven off in the boil.

Assuming a batch sparge, there is no real need to heat the water. It will collect sugar just as well at room temp as hot and room temp water is easier to handle.

Gentle boil is the preferred way, just a simmer really.

Fermentation temperature control during the first few day is critical. You didn't say how cool or if you had a way to monitor the temperature. I set my bucket in a tub of water sitting on a cool concrete floor in my basement. That keeps the fermentation temperature in the low to mid 60's, perfect for the yeast I use.

Ah, yeah, fermentation is the one part I know I'm solid on so I left the details out, haha! I'm also using Kveik so temperature is less important, but my garage stays in the 58-65 range almost year round and my porter came out great with an occasional ice pack under the bucket. Also jeez I totally forgot to add the sparging step into my walkthrough!!

Back