Should you worry about preservatives in canned fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I have wound up with quite a load of canned fruit. To use it up, I thought I might make a wine. My concern (I brew beer all the time) is, will the preservatives (asorbic acid and such) inhibit the yeast? What should I look for or avoid in the canned fruit's ingredient list?
I'd appreciate any input or 5 gallon recipes. Also, what kind of yeast? I have beer, bread and distiller's yeast on hand but, I'm willing to get whatever is recommended.
Tell me all about it. WHen it comes to wine, I'm a newby.
Thanks to All.

The one type of preservative you should avoid is potassium sorbate or any sorbate. Those prevent yeast from reproducing and that's something you need the yeast to do. Ascorbic acid is not a problem and while heat pasteurization might damage some of the more volatile compounds that provide complex flavors, UV pasteurization is never a problem.
As for what kind of yeast: I would avoid bread yeast - it is not cultured to flocculate so it tends to stay in suspension (there are other issues associated with high-lighting flavors or compounds but flocculation is sufficient). Distillers yeast is (I presume) designed to get you from fruit to ethanol as quickly as possible and damn the flavors that a still will likely blow off. I would avoid that yeast Wine yeasts are cultivated by labs to enhance colors, flavors, work at certain temperatures , control H2S (hydrogen sulfide production) , or not , produce glycerides or not etc. Some wine yeasts are sledge hammers while others are scalpels.. I would use a wine yeast but I would select a variety based upon the labs's spec sheets.
That said, you might use a beer or ale yeast. As a brewer you would know that every yeast is chosen for its character and/or attributes...

Thank you, Bernard. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get an answer.
Are there any other preservatives in canned fruit that I should worry about?
Can you tell me any more about the process? Like, should I boil it or? What are the general steps to take?

I generally never buy canned fruit so I have no idea what may be added . Beer making requires "brewing" but wine can be a cold process but I guess if you are interested in making compote you might boil the fruit. Jam making requires heat too but both compote and jam tend to activate the pectins through heat and while pectins in jams and jellies are fine.. they create a haze in wine that many wine makers find less than desirable...( In other words, I would avoid heat).

Back