Should I Move My Porter To Warmer Ambient Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of fermenting the Chocolate Oatmeal Porter recipe from this site (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/chocolate-oatmeal-porter-359746/) for a competition this month.

It has been sitting in the primary for 14 days with my temp controller set at a steady 65-67* the entire time. Since the competition requires me to drop off 2 bottles by 9/19, I was hoping to bottle it this weekend but I was down in the basement last night and was shocked to hear some blow off/airlock activity.

I'm thinking that the temp inside my chamber might have dropped into the low 60's or even 50's when my central AC was on over the last week or so which may have made the yeast go dormant (I have the Johnson Controls A419 and it is only set to cool, not heat).

If I'm going to make my deadline, I pretty much need to bottle this weekend to allow for full carbonation so what do you think about me moving the carboy upstairs where the ambient temperatures are between 70-73 to speed up the process? I'm hesitant because I don't want to risk off flavors, especially in a competition beer but I also don't want to bottle an unfinished beer. Thoughts?

I dont think raising the temp will effect your flavor one bit, but I would like to be the first to ask: What's the gravity reading?

Buy a beer from the store and put it in your own bottle. They'll never know the difference!

I dont think raising the temp will effect your flavor one bit, but I would like to be the first to ask: What's the gravity reading?

Thanks - need to check tonight when I get home from work. I've seen people on the recipe thread say theirs was finishing around 1.020 though BeerSmith puts it at 1.017. This yeast doesn't have crazy attenuation (67-71%)

I'm actually in the same exact situation. I have to bottle this weekend to get it in the hand of a local brew contest as well!! SMALL WORLD. I am making a Porter.. I brewed 2.5 weeks ago, racked last Sunday, and have to bottle this Sunday to ensure proper carbonation for the 22nd judging date. I have house temps around 75 right now in So. Cal., but my gravity has been steady for the last 3 days. So I'm going to cold crash tonight to drop it to 45 degrees and bottle on Sunday. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it wouldn't hurt to warm it up a bit. I honestly doubt you will create any off flavors in just a few days warmer temps. I would hate to see the yeast come back alive and give your judges some bombs!! (Which I doubt would happen). This probably isn't much help, but I wanted to comment, because we are in similar situations!!! Good Luck!

Funny coincidence there. I'm probably going to bring it upstairs tonight and let it sit until Sunday. Fingers crossed.

Back