Serendipity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cock Robin

Reaction score
So for a while now - “a while” as in years - I’ve had a couple of Fischer bottles in the back of the fridge. I couldn’t remember what I’d put in them, because I’d started Atkins shortly after I’d bottled them, but I couldn’t bring myself to throw them out either.

So tonight after a pint of imperial stout (on an empty stomach, too) it seemed like a good idea to try one of these old beers and see what it was like. Mind you, these were close to a decade old - I didn’t even expect them to have any carbonation. But it did; absolutely bubbly, tbh. It didn’t smell skunky like I expected - looked good and smelled good, so I gave it a shot.

It was really good. Didn’t taste like beer, but it was still good.

Then I remembered what it was. I had made a red ale extract kit (Munton’s, I think), but I’d fermented it with champagne yeast. I was drinking 10 year old barley champagne.

Excellent. Not sure if I wanna brew it again, but I’m glad I have another bottle left.

Back