Selecting hop variety - Northern Climate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooden

Reaction score
Interested in growing my own hops. Not sure what would grow best here.

I would imagine climate, soil type/ph, and access to sunlight would play a role. I do not see a lot of info about this.

I live in Northern Minnesota, cold-temperate climate, Rainfall I would say is medium-high.

Average highs in the May-Sept months are 62-76; avg lows are 41-55; we have some very cold days in winter.

My next door neighbor grows hops, Centennial and Nugget; he says they grow easily.

Trying to get an idea of what else would work here. I have some areas (like garage) that are full sun, at least part of the day, but most would probably be considered partial sun.

I really like the citrusy, tropical, aromatic hops like Cascades, Amarillo, and Simcoe. Have also heard Canadian Redvine is like Cascade, but for Northern climates. Would any of those grow here? Also, any suggestions for a bittering hop?

Thanks!

Amarillo and simcoe are proprietary hops, and are not available for sale.

Where are you located? I am in zone 3, and grow cascade, centennial, chinook, hallertauer, goldings, northern brewer, and CTZ. Willamette will NOT grow for me, but I have friends who grow it near Chicago with good results.

Cascade and chinook and hallertauer grow particularly well- like invasive weeds, popping up all over my yard and covering my greenhouse and whatever it can reach. The northern brewer and CTZ are "ok" and the goldings are too young to really tell yet, but seem to be doing ok.

Back