Secondary Fermenting in a keg, control the temp question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_CdY

Full time woodturner, part time brewer...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I only have one fermentation vessel at the present time, a Grainfather conical, that currently has a recipe from a friend that requires 21 days in secondary at 75 F, sadly that keeps me from brewing and fermenting another batch until the end of the month.

Question, I often use my kegs as a secondary fermentation vessels however with the need to keep the temperature at 75 F how can I do that in a keg? In one of the posts from the For Sale section the seller mentioned a Zoo Pad, Linky, it appears that the pad is about 8x12 and will raise the ambient room temperature around 15 degrees. With the use of Inkbird could I control heating and would it work? I also have Fermo Temp from Northern Brew, Another Linky, could I wrap the keg and use the Inkbird and get an even better result.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I’m not familiar with the grainfather conical so how do you heat that? Is there a way to use that heater on your keg? And why 75 for 3 weeks?

I’m not familiar with the grainfather conical so how do you heat that? Is there a way to use that heater on your keg? And why 75 for 3 weeks?

The GF concial has built in heat function that is not external. I don't know the top end of the scale, but my goal is to free up the fermenter so I brew another recipe. I did consider as an option but I thought something in contact with the keg might be better.

What about fermenting in your kegs instead? Then you don’t have to worry how to heat them.

Latest posts

Back