Screwed up my grain order - should I still brew or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I brew extract, and I was planning to brew a mini-mash oatmeal stout tomorrow. It's basically my last shot at brewing until after the holidays.

Long story short, I was just ready to weigh out my grains when I realized I messed up my order. I'm brewing an oatmeal stout that I haven't brewed for a couple of years.

The correct grain bill is:
1lb 8oz Fflaked Oats
1lb 8oz 2 Row
12oz Biscuit
9oz Crystal 60L
9oz Pale Chocolate
7oz Chocolate
6oz Debittered Black
3oz Roasted Barley

I didn't double-check my recipe close enough, and I only ordered a pound of each grain. We have Quaker Oats, so I could add half a pound of those, but I'd still be short a half pound of two-row.

Other than dropping my O.G. and ABV a little (Beersmith says 0.003 O.G. and 0.2% ABV), what would be the impact of brewing with what I have on hand? Most of the gravity points comes from 6.3 pounds of LME.

Thanks for your help!

If your concerned about that small of a reduction you could add a small amount of maple syrup or brown sugar. I buy the Quaker oats in the 10 lb package for just under $1 per lb, so go for it. You might even make up the gravity with another half lb of flaked oats.

Should you still brew!?! :confused: There is no way I'd wait 2-3 weeks to brew over a half pound of 2-row. :smh:

With that grain bill you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference making up the ABV with table sugar, maple syrup, brown sugar. I would just replace the gravity points with whatever you have on hand.

Brew on!

The bigger problem is with only 1 pound of 2-row you have a "ton" of non-diastatic grains and adjuncts in there and may have problems converting the whole lot in the mash. The minimum average grist diastatic power (DP) should be around 35 °Lintner, and conversion may take longer when that low.

Depending on your 2-row origin (maltster/age), DP can be anywhere from 100-160. The flaked oats and all the other ones are 0.
The 2-row, flaked oats, and biscuit (total of 3.25#) should definitely be mashed (together).
Say, with a 2-row DP of 120 and those 3.25# your (average) mash DP is only 37! That's close to borderline. Definitely mash for 90'. Give it a good stir every 10-15 minutes. Mash low, say 150-154F, no higher.

In that scenario, all the other grains should be left out of the mash and steeped separately.

Agreed on the flaked oats, Sams and Costco sell 10# boxes of Quaker (flaked) oats for around $8-10. Or get a round box of "generic" store brand oats from your supermarket.

Sorry I hadn't replied on this. The holidays crept up faster than I anticipated, and I ended up not brewing. I've picked up the missing grains and plan to brew soon. If nothing else, a nice way to start the new year!

Thanks for your help!

It’s been in the single digits here for a couple of weeks. Then I got a horrible head cold. So no brewing for me. Hopefully my cold and the cold will go away soon.
Cheers

Back