Scary movies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else hate scary movies as much as I do? The thing is, though, I don't hate all scary movies, just ones involving demons and posession. I watch the cooking channel just so I won't have to see trailers for Sinister and Paranormal Activity 4. Yeah, I know they're just movies, but as someone who believes in God and thus demons, the mere concept makes me need a new pair of underwear. This is probably going to get worse as Halloween approaches, but historically, scary movies are fair game any time of year, so I'm screwed.

I agree in a similar vein. I don't watch the movies because they glorify these interactions. My loyalties lay with God and to be a watching this would be akin, to me at least, in partaking at the table of the demons. So it would be kind of a slap to his face. It makes a mockery of his ability to keep me protected. Same reason why I don't celebrate Halloween, or practice horoscopes, tarot cards, etc. I know what demons are capable of, but, I also know what God is capable of. I'm not inviting any of them in any way into my mind or my home. What's the scripture "oppose the devil and he will flee from you".

Halloween is an especially annoying time of year since it basically glorifies everything that Satan is about, it really amplifies his violent influence on this world we live in.

Though, I do enjoy a good suspense movie :)

I've never gone out of my way to take in a "scary movie", so I doubt I've given the genre its due.

So the only actually scary thing I've ever seen in media form was the face peeling scene in Poltergeist. I'm not too proud to admit I literally lept over the couch and hid behind it until my wife let me know it was safe :drunk:

Cheers!

Personally... I love scary movies. Nothing make me feel more alive than being on the edge of my seat waiting to see what's going to happen next. I don't really like the mounted camera/first person type of movies though... But that's just my 2 cents and to each their own.

nukebrewer said:
Anyone else hate scary movies as much as I do? The thing is, though, I don't hate all scary movies, just ones involving demons and posession. I watch the cooking channel just so I won't have to see trailers for Sinister and Paranormal Activity 4. Yeah, I know they're just movies, but as someone who believes in God and thus demons, the mere concept makes me need a new pair of underwear. This is probably going to get worse as Halloween approaches, but historically, scary movies are fair game any time of year, so I'm screwed.

They're more than just movies though.. I also believe in God and demons and the idea of putting something like that in my head is absolutely unacceptable. I still remember vividly the 3 minutes or so of Exorcist that I watched 20 years ago. These movies leave lasting scars. If you have desensitized yourself to the point where you find them attractive it really is not a good situation.

Coming from the camp that doesn't believe in God and/or demons (and doesn't want this to turn into a discussion on whether not I or anyone else should) I'll watch these movies under one condition: whether or not they are any good. You won't catch me at Paranormal Activity 4 because it looks like a giant pile of crap. A well written and acted, suspenseful and thought provoking "horror" movie though I'll watch any day. The Orphanage is one of my favorites.

I just don't like scary movies. Period. Never have. Doubt I ever will.

I'm more into celebrating October and harvest Festivals, and Octoberfest.

I also don't really care for candy, another reason I could care less about Halloween.

I'm with the OP. I watched Pet Semetary and then some others like Stir of Echoes. After I watch a movie like that I always ask myself later "Why the F did I do that to myself?" Not a fan.

So, the more important question here.

Where do you stand on zombies?

I don't really mind zombie movies, actually, but mostly because I don't believe zombies could exist. And if it is possible for a zombie to exist, then a zombie would be something tangible that I could fight and kill. I can't physically fight a demon. My only protection from a demon is my faith.

bottlebomber said:
They're more than just movies though.. I also believe in God and demons and the idea of putting something like that in my head is absolutely unacceptable. I still remember vividly the 3 minutes or so of Exorcist that I watched 20 years ago. These movies leave lasting scars. If you have desensitized yourself to the point where you find them attractive it really is not a good situation.

The only thing that really scares me is the evil stuff, and I do avoid it. I read the Exorcist book, and thought it was a story about good and evil. The movie doesn't give the same sense of the battle or the weight of the topic.

SharonaZamboni said:
The only thing that really scares me is the evil stuff, and I do avoid it. I read the Exorcist book, and thought it was a story about good and evil. The movie doesn't give the same sense of the battle or the weight of the topic.

Seeing something is profoundly different than reading it as well.. Books can get plenty creepy, but I think the fact that so much of the experience is created by the readers imagination makes them not nearly as offensive, if that makes any sense. With film, you are directly and visually being exposed and I think that has a different effect.

I'll start off by saying I respect everyones right to their own opinion. As for me, I think most scary movies these days suck so I dont watch them. But I do enjoy the good ones though. I dont condone the actions, but Im not afraid that watching these actions will impose any evil within me. I am spiritual and follow the moral themes practiced in most religions, but I do not follow one in particular. My opinion is that you can look around and see good and evil in the world around us everyday, and the reality of that is far worse to me than any movie. I stick to my faith and what my heart and morality tells me is right. No movie or anything else can change that. I guess the way I see it is in order to fight your demons you must know your demons so I dont fear confronting them. This sums up my feelings pretty well.... Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

KeyWestBrewing said:
Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You say you're non partisan, but yet deliver a scriptural citation. Surely the writer of that psalm couldn't have had intentional exposure to evil in mind when he wrote that. And the rod and staff in biblical analogy are viewed as tools for correction and discipline. It doesn't mean that you are somehow granted exemption from the consequences of any of the poor choices you make.

bottlebomber said:
You say you're non partisan, but yet deliver a scriptural citation. Surely the writer of that psalm couldn't have had intentional exposure to evil in mind when he wrote that. And the rod and staff in biblical analogy are viewed as tools for correction and discipline. It doesn't mean that you are somehow granted exemption from the consequences of any of the poor choices you make.

I believe in the teachings of many religions I just don't pin my faith to one. Technically I was baptized episcopalian and did my communion in the same church. I don't believe watching those movies is a poor choice, well maybe fiscally lol. I believe that doing the evil things often depicted in those movies is a poor choice. To me there's a difference. Being exposed to evil whether intentional or not doesn't make a huge difference to me. It's more about whether you choose to follow that path or not. I feel in my faith that the maestro to this grand orchestra of life guides me in the right direction, even when I make mistakes.

KeyWestBrewing said:
I believe in the teachings of many religions I just don't pin my faith to one. Technically I was baptized episcopalian and did my communion in the same church. I don't believe watching those movies is a poor choice, well maybe fiscally lol. I believe that doing the evil things often depicted in those movies is a poor choice. To me there's a difference. Being exposed to evil whether intentional or not doesn't make a huge difference to me. It's more about whether you choose to follow that path or not. I feel in my faith that the maestro to this grand orchestra of life guides me in the right direction, even when I make mistakes.

I understand what you're saying. By my personal beliefs, if I was associating with those who are practicing lawlessness I would feel sullied, whether I was following their example or not. That's just my personal beliefs though.

I enjoy scary movies as much as any other movie. To say it is a bad idea from a religious standpoint is a very strange and interesting concept for me. I am deeply religious and feel as there is no more conflict than watching an action movie or a war movie. I cannot watch anything with a rape though. That and children being harmed. Never will watch a movie like that.

bottlebomber said:
I understand what you're saying. By my personal beliefs, if I was associating with those who are practicing lawlessness I would feel sullied, whether I was following their example or not. That's just my personal beliefs though.

That's the beautiful part brother, to each their own. Cheers!!

To run with your junk food analogy. To me its more like being able to sit in a fast food place while my friends eat lunch and choosing not to eat there. We all see things we dont agree with everyday, it doesnt mean we have to place our faith in it. Learning and understanding a language is different than choosing to speak. I respect your entitlement to your beliefs as you should respect mine. You dont have to buy into them and thats ok. This whole thing has gone way off topic, this thread is about scary movies and if you like them and or watch them. Not whats your ideology and this is why the bible says its wrong. Just agree to disagree and be ok with it.

Back