Sam Adams Hoppy Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblanderson

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew something similar to the Sam Adams Hoppy Red that is in their fall sampler pack now. Would love to get any feedback from those who have tried it!

I found the body to be medium / full with a great resinous / sticky hop flavor. I'd describe the color as light red / amber.

This is their website for it, along with some ingredient info.

And here is my BeerSmith attempt at a recipe. They list 5 hop varieties, I'm assuming the Norther Brewer as the bittering hop and then the others as late additions / dry hops. I've not used Nelson Sauvin or Ella/Stella hops before, but I've read great things about them.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated FG: 1.014 SG
Estimated ABV: 5.7%
Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Ale Malt, Northwestern 1 93.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 Grain 2 4.0 %
4.0 oz Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM) Grain 3 2.0 %
1.0 oz Midnight Wheat (Briess) (550.0 SR Grain 4 0.5 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60 Min. Hop 5 29.5 IBUs
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 5 Min. Hop 6 3.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 5 Min. Hop 7 2.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5 Min. Hop 8 8.3 IBUs
1 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis # Yeast 9 -
2.00 oz Ella (aka Stella) [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB 04 Medium/Full Body (154F)
Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They list the SRM as 26, which seems REALLY dark for an amber ale. If you say its a light red (I haven't had it) then I think you're in the right ballpark with 13 SRM. They may use a different scale than we do, although its supposed to be "standard".

I think you have room to go up on the caramel malts, you could double each.

The hops seem ok (again I haven't had the beer). Do you taste the EKG/hallertauer a lot or is it more fruit forward?

Thanks for your input! It certainly didn't seem anywhere near SRM 26 to me, so it has to be a different scale. I'm not too worried about the color anyway, primarily want to get the right malt and hop flavor.

I tend to be cautious with caramel malts (especially the darker varieties), which is why I've got them at 6% of the total grain bill. If anyone who has tasted this beer thinks that is too low I'll bump it up.

The hop flavor was really well balanced I think. Definitely got some fruit, but there was also a bit of the more classic spicy / floral flavor as well. Overall impression was a nice resinous / sticky hop presence that coated the palate.

Hey roblanderson,
how'd this beer turn out?

I'm working on a clone of my own using the Sam Adams site descriptions (which is now taken down). I'm going with American hops on this first try only for the fact I know what to expect from them.

1. Was the crystal too little?
2. How did the color come out?
3. How was your hop combination?

Oh.... By the Way - my current recipe.
ANY comments will be appreciated.

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.75
Anticipated OG: 1.055
Anticipated SRM: 19.1
Anticipated IBU: 43.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78%
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

61.5% 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
20.5% 2.00 lbs. Maris Otter Crisp (English) 1.038 4
10.3% 1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
5.1% 0.50 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
2.6 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

0.50 oz. Chinook Pellet 12.10 32.0 First WH
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.10 6.5 15 min
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 8.30 5.3 15 min
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 8.30 0.0 0 min
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.10 0.0 0 min
0.50 oz. Chinook Pellet 12.10 0.0 0 min

Fermentis S-05 Safale US-05 Ale Yeast

Mash 154'F - 1hr
Ferment 66'F

We haven't brewed it yet. Decided to go with an existing red IPA recipe from the Mad Fermenationist / Modern Times. Here is a good link.

Primary fermentation is done and I plan to transfer to the serving keg this week.

If I get back to trying the Sam Adams Hoppy Red clone then I'll come back with an update.

Not exactly what you're looking for but I love beers like Stone's Arrogant Bastard, Evil Twin's Hop Flood and Maine Brewing Company's Red Wheelbarrow. From what I've heard and how they taste they rely on dark crystal malt for the red rather than roasted barley but those are probably more caramelly than the kind of red IPA you're going for.

If you like a hoppy red, IMO you can't go wrong with Denny's Waldo Lake Amber recipe.

Mmmm That's right! :mug:
I remember reading that last year.
Thanks for the reminder.

@roblanderson
Yeah... let us hear if you get to it.
My main concern was 15%+ crystal in my recipe.

Oh.... By the Way - my current recipe.
ANY comments will be appreciated.

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.75
Anticipated OG: 1.055
Anticipated SRM: 19.1
Anticipated IBU: 43.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78%
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

61.5% 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
20.5% 2.00 lbs. Maris Otter Crisp (English) 1.038 4
10.3% 1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
5.1% 0.50 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
2.6 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

0.50 oz. Chinook Pellet 12.10 32.0 First WH
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.10 6.5 15 min
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 8.30 5.3 15 min
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 8.30 0.0 0 min
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.10 0.0 0 min
0.50 oz. Chinook Pellet 12.10 0.0 0 min

Fermentis S-05 Safale US-05 Ale Yeast

Mash 154'F - 1hr
Ferment 66'F

If you haven't brewed your recipe yet I will comment on this one as I have KILLED the keg over the new years holiday.

The 19 SRM made a "RED" color beer. People were asking which beer between my Pale Ale and Wheat, and Red beers which one was the red ale. Several people just looked at them as if they were crazy because it was obviously crazy red.

I am doing this one again but pushing the IBUs up in the bittering area and more attention to flame out for more balance to the 80L and Choc grains. The finish was great but needed more bitterness to balance the caramel. The FWH and 154'-155' mash gave it velvet mouth feel.

I use a + in the data file name to reflect on my favorite beers to try again and this one has it!

+Hoppy Red American Ale. :ban:

@roblanderson - I like the idea of the midnight wheat for color and body. I do have an imaginary reservation of the Nelson Sauvin in this beer as it's got a reported 'white wine' character. Just my $.02. Let us know how it goes.... SOON!

BrewDog has an American Red that I brewed last month.

I recommend it, it was #26 5AM Saint from there released recipes.

BrewDog has an American Red that I brewed last month.

I recommend it, it was #26 5AM Saint from there released recipes.

Can you replicate their recipes with the published data? I have a hard time making my numbers come close to theirs.

-------> going to look at #26 now!

EDIT - example.... #26 is 30.5 SRM - That's a 'Dk Brown' ale color according to the 2015 BJCP.

Can you replicate their recipes with the published data? I have a hard time making my numbers come close to theirs.

-------> going to look at #26 now!

EDIT - example.... #26 is 30.5 SRM - That's a 'Dk Brown' ale color according to the 2015 BJCP.
I enter their data into brewersfriend and if I need to up something to match the style its not hard to tweak or add.

Some of their data is an obvious misprint so I adjust. Their hop schedules are accurate though. I've done about ten different brewdog recipes and everyone has been excellent.

We haven't brewed it yet. Decided to go with an existing red IPA recipe from the Mad Fermenationist / Modern Times. Here is a good link.

Primary fermentation is done and I plan to transfer to the serving keg this week.

If I get back to trying the Sam Adams Hoppy Red clone then I'll come back with an update.

Here are a couple pictures of our Red IPA - turned out very well, but I wouldn't brew it exactly the same again. This was our first beer using Nelson and I think I'd scale it back just a bit. The beer has a bit more "funk" to it than I typically prefer, so I might up the proportion of mosaic & simcoe for the next version.

9ubrlu.jpg

14v2wkn.jpg

Still want to get to the Sam Adams Hoppy Red clone attempt sometime as well!

Back