Saison Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edutrinanes

Reaction score
Hello guys, next week I´m going to brew this recipe. It´s a saison brett and my idea it´s bottling with brett like the mad fermentationist do here . Anyone have done this before?? and how it turns?? I´m so afraid of bombing bottles!!!!

Recipe: Brett Saison
Brewer: Edu
Asst Brewer:
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30,0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14,18 l
Post Boil Volume: 11,18 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 10,00 l
Bottling Volume: 10,50 l
Estimated OG: 1,054 SG
Estimated Color: 10,2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22,6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65,00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70,1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2,09 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3,3 EBC) Grain 1 81,0 %
0,39 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5,9 EBC) Grain 2 15,0 %
0,05 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118,2 EBC) Grain 3 2,0 %
15,00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4,00 %] - Boil Hop 4 15,3 IBUs
10,00 g Styrian Goldings [5,40 %] - Boil 15,0 mi Hop 5 6,9 IBUs
0,05 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil for 5 min]( Sugar 6 2,0 %
10,00 g Saaz [3,75 %] - Boil 1,0 min Hop 7 0,4 IBUs
1,0 pkg Belgian Saison III Yeast (White Labs #WL Yeast 8 -
1,0 pkg Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (White Labs # Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 2,58 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 14,00 l of water at 68,4 C 65,5 C 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2,71 l water at 75,6 C
Notes:
------
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=R2PDQG3

:mug::mug:

I've not tried yet. My plan is to add Brett a day or do before bottling so it mixes well. Hard to calculate priming sugar, though.

I've not tried yet. My plan is to add Brett a day or do before bottling so it mixes well. Hard to calculate priming sugar, though.

That´s my concern, the amount of priming sugar and the remaining gravity points that brett would have to eat in the bottle. Assuming that my recipe have a final gravity of 1008 brett would be eating maybe till 1000-1002 and thats in the bottle could be 6-8 point of gravity. Assuming that 1 gravity point eated in the bottle is equal at 0.5 volumes of CO2 maybe the bottle ends with 4 volumes of CO2

That´s my concern, the amount of priming sugar and the remaining gravity points that brett would have to eat in the bottle. Assuming that my recipe have a final gravity of 1008 brett would be eating maybe till 1000-1002 and that in the bottle could be 6-8 points of gravity eated. Assuming that 1 gravity point eated in the bottle is equal at 0.5 volumes of CO2 maybe the bottle ends with 4 volumes of CO2 with any priming sugar added and that´s too high :cross:. Maybe the saison strain choosed in the recipe is not the best choice for the experiment of bottling with brett because don´t attenuate like the other two of white labs but only have this vial and the best before date it´s already August 28th.

Why not pitch both yeasts from the beginning? Whether you do this or introduce the Brett at bottling, you'll still have to wait months to get really good Brett character and you'll get more of it if you allow the Brett to start working from the beginning. I think even the Mad Fermentationist advocates pitching bugs at the beginning of fermentation in most cases.

It depends on what you want. I'm mainly interested in stock ale, so I want the attenuation of Brett but not much of the flavour or aroma. I assume the OP also wants Brett to be secondary.

Back