Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argentum

Reaction score
I plan to brew a red rye IPA. I've posted versions of this a couple of times, in the General Discussion forum, 'cause I'm a Dumb, but I realize it's more appropriately posted here and hope to get a little more feedback after incorporating some suggestions and tweaking the recipe. I'd appreciate any feedback on any part of it, including the grain bill, the hops, the yeast, and the fermentation temp. Thanks!

Batch Size (Gallons): 5

Grains:
10 pounds 2-row
2 pounds rye
10 oz Carared
6 oz Crystal 90
8 oz Carapils
2 oz roasted rye
8 oz rice hulls
8 oz flaked rye

Boiling Time: 60 minutes

Hops:
1 oz Columbus - FWH
.5 oz centennial - 15
.5 oz Amarillo - 15
.5 oz centennial - 10
.5 oz Amarillo - 10
.5 oz Simcoe - 5
.5 oz Willamette- 5

.5 oz Willamette - flameout
.5 oz Simcoe - flameout

1 oz Willamette - dry hop
1 oz citra - dry hop

Yeast: US-05? Or maybe WLP001. Maybe even Wyeast 1450, which is what Denny Conn uses for his rye IPA. Would really like suggestions.

Primary (Days/Temp): 14 days at 64
Secondary (Days/Temp): 7 at 64, then crash at 36 for 3 days
Expected Original Gravity: 1.071 (my app attributes points to flaked rye but I subtracted them)
Expected Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 51

In case anyone is interested in why the grain bill looks as it does: I considered a maltier addition, like melanoidin or Munich, but looking at what goes into beers like dogfish head, evolution #3, evolution #6, and other typical IPAs, they don't use it. Some do but I like ones that don't seem to.

As for the hops, again, these hops (with the exception of Willamette) appear consistently in IPAs I really enjoy. I thought that a FWH with no 60 minute addition would yield a smoother bitterness, and at 51 IBUs it's in IPA range (I suspect the IBUs will be higher as my recipe app does not calculate and IBUs based on hops added at flameout. As it is it seems like I'm adding a lot of hops, but should I add even more? Another ounce at flameout? While cooking the wort? Another post discusses this for more robust hop flavor.

Regarding the fermentation temp, I've seen recipes that call for fermentation in the upper 60s but also some that ferment at 62-64, and I've had some bad batches that I've attributed to high pitching and fermentation temps.

At any rate I appreciate any feedback!

I plan to brew a red rye IPA. I've posted versions of this a couple of times, in the General Discussion forum, 'cause I'm a Dumb, but I realize it's more appropriately posted here and hope to get a little more feedback after incorporating some suggestions and tweaking the recipe. I'd appreciate any feedback on any part of it, including the grain bill, the hops, the yeast, and the fermentation temp. Thanks!

Grains:
10 pounds 2-row
2 pounds rye
10 oz Carared
6 oz Crystal 90
8 oz Carapils
2 oz roasted rye
8 oz rice hulls
8 oz flaked rye

Hops:
1 oz Columbus - FWH
.5 oz centennial - 15
.5 oz Amarillo - 15
.5 oz centennial - 10
.5 oz Amarillo - 10
.5 oz Simcoe - 5
.5 oz Willamette- 5

.5 oz Willamette - flameout
.5 oz Simcoe - flameout

1 oz Willamette - dry hop
1 oz citra - dry hop

Yeast: US-05? Or maybe WLP001. Maybe even Wyeast 1450, which is what Denny Conn uses for his rye IPA. Would really like suggestions.

Primary (Days/Temp): 14 days at 64
Secondary (Days/Temp): 7 at 64, then crash at 36 for 3 days
Expected Original Gravity: 1.071 (my app attributes points to flaked rye but I subtracted them)
Expected Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 51

In case anyone is interested in why the grain bill looks as it does: I considered a maltier addition, like melanoidin or Munich, but looking at what goes into beers like dogfish head, evolution #3, evolution #6, and other typical IPAs, they don't use it. Some do but I like ones that don't seem to.

As for the hops, again, these hops (with the exception of Willamette) appear consistently in IPAs I really enjoy. I thought that a FWH with no 60 minute addition would yield a smoother bitterness, and at 51 IBUs it's in IPA range (I suspect the IBUs will be higher as my recipe app does not calculate and IBUs based on hops added at flameout. As it is it seems like I'm adding a lot of hops, but should I add even more? Another ounce at flameout? While cooking the wort? Another post discusses this for more robust hop flavor.

Regarding the fermentation temp, I've seen recipes that call for fermentation in the upper 60s but also some that ferment at 62-64, and I've had some bad batches that I've attributed to high pitching and fermentation temps.

At any rate I appreciate any feedback!

I think looks good, but I would tend to simplify the process and add all 15min-flameout hops together at flameout. I really like Citra and Amarillo for dry-hopping, never dry-hopped with Willamette, but it should add some floral, citrusy character.

I don't have that much experience flaked/roasted rye but a lot of people use both for nice rye flavor. I use rye in my saisons and it comes out great.

For yeast selection - I would go for the most attenuating yeast. for IPA the key is dryness, and the hops provide most aroma/flavor, so yeast should be clean and attenuating. I like WLP001 or WLP090.

Carapils seems unnecessary. Rye has a ton of body and there is a little crystal in there.

May want to switch the Carapils and 90L with .75 lb 60L. You will simplify the grain bill and net the same thing with a few ounces less body building dextrines there.

Update: here's how brew day went:

Grains:
10 pounds 2-row
2 pounds rye
10 oz Carared
6 oz Carapils
4 oz Crystal 80
2 oz debittered black barley
8 oz rice hulls
8 oz flaked rye

Hops:
1 oz Warrior - FWH
.5 oz centennial - FWH
.5 oz Amarillo - FWH
.5 oz centennial - flameout (20 min)
.5 oz Amarillo - flameout (20 min)
1 oz Simcoe - flameout (20 min)
1 oz Willamette- flameout (20 min)

Yeast: WLP001 in a 2 liter starter, pitched the next day to allow work to cool (my tap water doesn't get below high 70s this time of year)

Things seemed to go pretty well: after collecting about 6 gallons in my kettle the adjusted SG was 1.060, very close to my calculator's estimate of 1.062.

From there things did not go as planned. Post boil volume was about 4 1/2 gallons. Predicted SG was 1.072 but mine was high - about 1.082. I must have tossed a ton of sludge because after racking to the fermenter and topping up with over 1/2 gallon, bringing the OG down to an estimated 1.069, my volume seems to be about 4 gallons. Below is a pic of the beer in the fermenter. Do my estimates look right?

My hope is that I didn't screw this up except by throwing out some proverbial babies with the bath water (where babies are 12 oz bottles of beer and bath water is post-boil kettle sludge), but what do folks do with that stuff? Do you just not worry about lots of precipitate in the primary?

image.jpg

Carapils seems unnecessary. Rye has a ton of body and there is a little crystal in there.

May want to switch the Carapils and 90L with .75 lb 60L. You will simplify the grain bill and net the same thing with a few ounces less body building dextrines there.

I decided to keep the Carapils and amount of crystal out of a concern for balancing the sweetness and hops, and seeing other recipes with roughly the same proportions (Ruthless Rye clone and Wry Smile come to mind). Worst case I have too much body, right?

I decided to keep the Carapils and amount of crystal out of a concern for balancing the sweetness and hops, and seeing other recipes with roughly the same proportions (Ruthless Rye clone and Wry Smile come to mind). Worst case I have too much body, right?

that is about it for sure.

It seemed like a simpler grain bill with about the same amount of perceived sweetness.

Update to this recipe: I dry hopped for a couple of days with about 4 oz hops - Amarillo, simcoe, citra and willamette, then cold crashed for about a week.

Bottled last night and carbonated a sample using my corny keg charger. I have to say it's a mighty fine beer. I was drinking it alongside a Hop Rod Rye (for Science), and to my great surprise, preferred this beer.

Latest posts

Back