Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar Extract Kit Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a nitro tap on my keezer, and I'm trying to get a beer on it that my wife will drink. She doesn't like stouts or porters, so I thought I'd try a brown ale. I have a copy of Brew Your Own's 250 Classic Clone Recipes, so after looking through the brown ales, I'd settled on Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar. As I started searching for the ingredients, I discovered there was already a kit for it, so I decided to go that route.

I just received the kit and I see some big differences between it and the clone recipe in the book. The kit came with a 1.75 pounds of specialty grains, while the clone recipe uses 4 pounds. The kit also uses Liberty and Northern hops, while the clone recipe uses Perle and Saaz.

The kit has good reviews, so I'm not concerned about brewing it. And the recipes in the Brew Your Own book were developed years ago (some with and some without the brewers help). But I would like to put it in BeerSmith to see how the numbers come out, and to have the actual recipe in case I want to tweak it down the road.

Does anyone happen to know the specific grains and amounts that make up the kit's 1.75 pounds of specialty grains? I can't enter the recipe without that.

Second, I've read a number of posts on how much hazelnut flavoring to use. The safest route seems to be to start with half an ounce and then add to taste. I plan to move this beer to a secondary and add the half ounce during the transfer, which should mix it well. My question is, if I want to add more, what's the best way to mix that in? I can't imagine pouring a little on top of the secondary really mixes the flavor in. I use a Big Mouth Bubbler as a secondary, so I would be able to gently stir it. And I could put some CO2 on top first to minimize any chance of mixing any oxygen in.

Thanks as always for the great advice!

I haven't made that kit. I often find the contents of mixed grain kits on the sellers website under details or in the instructions. If not, you might email them.

Back