RO system recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to know if anyone has a RO water filtration system that works for their home brewing.
My preferences are:
  • under sink
  • ability to produce 7-8 gallons of water in a reasonable time
  • under $300
Am I trippin or does such a thing exist?

Assuming you have a ~ 2 gallon pressure tank with the RO system, you are looking at about a 150 GPD RO setup to meet that flow.

You have a couple options here.

If you are also planning on using this for drinking water I'd suggest the following.

You can get the following system as the base 75 GPD System eBay
and then you can add a second 75 GPD membrane inline to double your flow while reducing your rejection rate Additional Membrane, Additional RO Housing.

I'd suggest getting just the base unit as well as a food grade bucket (you can use those 8 gal fermentation buckets that a lot of homebrew shops carry) and a float valve. Float Valve

I've been using the float valve route for the last 5 years. I just hook it up overnight before Brewday and I am set.

If you only want the system for brewing you can go for this system. If you want to use it for drinking water as well you'll have to add your own pressure tank and faucet down the line. (6.25 gal/hr depending on water temp and pressure)
150 GPD system

I always recommend HBTers obtain a reliable water test first, and then contact member Russ @Buckeye_Hydro for guidance on putting together an RO system that can handle the conditions extant at a production rate that suits the buyer.

And yes, for under $300 one can put together a 100gpd system that will produce 8+ gallons in under 2 hours...which to me would be practical. I run a 100gpd RO system and get an honest ~4.25 gph out of it...

Cheers!

8 gals per hour (*24=) ~ 200 gpd. Given your tap water temperature is almost certainly below factory spec temperature (77F), and your pressure may also be below factory spec, 200 gpd is a lofty expectation for a residential scale (under the sink) system. But we have plenty of options to meet your goals. Feel free to give us a call at your convenience.

Russ

I had to buy a pump to increase the pressure to get a decent gpd rate. It fills a 30 gallon water bin I bought off ebay with an auto shutoff. I've read good things about Buckeye, I'd go there next time I'm going to upgrade/replace my system.

Latest posts

Back