Rinsing oak barrel between batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am pulling the trigger on a new 5 gallon oak barrel, and given the smaller size/ higher surface contact with the beer inside, I will probably only be aging a beer for a couple months to get a nice, subtle oak flavor.

Planning on keeping a series of Flander's Red style going consistently, where I will secondary ferment/ age in the barrel with the bug blend. After the oak taste is where I want it, I'm thinking I'll take it out and continue extended aging in a glass carboy, so I don't get too much oak or oxygen from the small barrel. I want to then rack a newly brewed Flander's back into the barrel.

My question is: should I rack the new beer directly on the trub in the barrel without any rinsing, or should I give it a good hot rinse beforehand and introduce new Brett? My thought is that racking on the old yeast cake would be fine, but I have only done this in glass. I am not sure if the barrels need a hot rinse/ steam to avoid unwanted bacteria.

I think your plan is good.

Rinsing or not, either way is fine. I think rinsing is the better idea because it helps improve oxygen permeability by removing beerstone. The micro-oxygenation helps Brett express more flavor.
Extra yeast cake doesn't necessarily help or hurt, although it may help provide more barnyard-type funk, so it depends what you want.

Once the oak starts to lose its flavor potency you could consider waxing some portion of the barrel to lower the oxygen permeability for longer-term aging.

Hope this helps. Cheers

Last edited:
Definitely helps, thanks!

Do you think the extended portion of the aging out of the barrel should be in plastic (Better Bottle) or glass? It sounds like Better Bottles are right in-between glass and plastic buckets as far as oxygen-permeability. Since it will be getting a pretty good amount while in the barrel, should I try to limit any more oxygen for potentially year long aging with glass, or allow a bit more with the better bottle?

In my opinion, PET is the better option (I use Fermonsters with spigots, and I hear only good things about PET for sours from many other brewers). The oxygen permeability is just right for it to develop flavor without being excessive.

Since you're transferring after aging, make sure you top-up or otherwise purge the headspace of oxygen.

I like the idea of the spigot on the Fermonster for taking oxygen free samples, but I worry about the seam and gasket for the spigot leaking over extended time. Do you foresee an issue with this, or are they pretty durable in your experience? I have one but I've never had a beer in it longer than a couple weeks.

These spigots don't leak, even with slight pressure:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/plastic-spigot-bucket-sediment-block.html

They rotate, which is nice. The downside is the rotating part is difficult to disassemble & reassemble, so I would just dedicate the particular spigot to Brett sours.

The other non-rotating type does leak and is generally bad.

I currently have 8 Fermonsters. 4 have sours right now. I'm very happy with them.

I also got a couple of the carrier straps.

Cheers

Also, any thoughts on ways to store the barrel if not in use? I may not be able to re-fill it with fresh beer right away, and wondering the best process for clean up in case long term storage is needed.

Fill it with cool dechlorinated water + 2g/L potassium metabisulfite + 1 g/L citric acid. Rinse before and after.

Obviously the oak flavor will release into whatever is in there; it doesn't care if it's beer, wine, spirits, or a sulfite storage solution... But this will prevent mold and other unwanted growth.

Last edited:
Back