Right simple one here... weissbier yeast 3068?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayern1987

Reaction score
Alright fellow brew heads...quick question here...

I pitched just a smack pack of 3068 and got a nice weissbier not much banana...

Next I seriously underpitched... too much banana... nearly a wasted batch and hardly any head....

I then started making starters from bottom harvested yeast which turned out not bad... a decent beer...

However I have now top cropped about half a mason jar of krausen and it looks a good amount of yeast that have settled... my question is thus:

Look at the photo 🧐 should I make a starter or just throw in this little gang of yeasties to create the perfect hefeweizen?

Danke schon 🤩 X

Attachments

• 20200630_041437.jpg
    20200630_041437.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
How old will the yeast be when you use it? It's difficult to know how many viable cells are in the jar from harvesting. I would be inclined to make a starter to assure a high enough pitch rate, especially if the jar is a few weeks or months old.

How old will the yeast be when you use it? It's difficult to know how many viable cells are in the jar from harvesting. I would be inclined to make a starter to assure a high enough pitch rate, especially if the jar is a few weeks or months old.
It is only a few days old... you reckon I will be okay to go and pitch it? 😁

Alright fellow brew heads...quick question here...

I pitched just a smack pack of 3068 and got a nice weissbier not much banana...

Next I seriously underpitched... too much banana... nearly a wasted batch and hardly any head....

I then started making starters from bottom harvested yeast which turned out not bad... a decent beer...

However I have now top cropped about half a mason jar of krausen and it looks a good amount of yeast that have settled... my question is thus:

Look at the photo 🧐 should I make a starter or just throw in this little gang of yeasties to create the perfect hefeweizen?

Danke schon 🤩 X
Make a starter! Keep half, pitch half. If you love it, then you have a strain to keep!

Back