Revelation on Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I was thinking about my brewing and my results recently, and I came to notice that I have only used 3 yeast strains where i have NEVER had inconsistent results like, poor attenuation, off flavors, lag times..etc..etc...

So I am using these 3 yeasts for the vast majority of my brewing, listed in order of favoritism.

1. Rogue Pacman - I fermented this yeast 55 degrees up to 75 degrees. Ferments very dry, drops like a rock and is super clean. Never have I not got what I expected when using this beast of a yeast. The best. I was thinking that I can probably use this for 95% of my beers.....I could eliminate WLP029 and brew pacman kolsch...and I bet it would rock. Here are some examples of pacman power

IIPA - 1.090 to 1.011
RIS - 1.095 to 1.017 (mashed at 156) in 3 days!!
Baltic Porter - 1.070 to 1.011 (mashed at 155)

2. Bell Yeast - fully attenuates, slightly fruity, slower to attenuate than pacman, doesn't floc as well, I use this in place of english ale yeast for some fruity esters

3. WLP029 - always attenuates fully, give great german ale flavor, consistently clean results, slow fermenter, give 3-4 weeks primary and beer will be clear and fully attenuated. Tends to REALLY enhance bitterness, not recomended for IPA......IMO

*** other yeasts I keep around****

chimay, a guy needs a belgian beer once in while
dry nottingham, in case of emergency
coopers dry, to prime high gravity beers in the bottle

Cool! I've been thinking about giving pacman a try in something. What do you think would be a good style to really showcase its characteristics?

Cool! I've been thinking about giving pacman a try in something. What do you think would be a good style to really showcase its characteristics?

Any beer where you want the malt and/or hops to be showcased. The yeast just gets out of the way and chews up sugars like nuts.

Overall, the biggest crowd pleaser that I make with this yeast, is a fat tire type of amber ale that is quite delicious. It uses a ton of crystal malts and specialty malts, and Pacman yeast helps me get the attenuation that I need.

Love PacMan. Hope they make it part of the regular lineup someday soon - they did with Denny's which is also a great yeast. Until then I will keep washing when they release it a part of the Private Collection. Montanaandy

Love PacMan. Hope they make it part of the regular lineup someday soon - they did with Denny's which is also a great yeast. Until then I will keep washing when they release it a part of the Private Collection. Montanaandy

Pacman is easily my most consistent and best performing yeast from a homebrew perspective. Here is why:

1. Super attenuetive...always finishes fully
2. tolerent of a wide range of temps, basically 55 to 75 degrees.
3. SUPER flocculent, drops like a rock and sticks like glue
4. You can literally take a lager recipe, ferment cool with pacman and you will get great results
5. Alcohol tolerance and general butt kickerness, I recently brewed a 1.095 OG stout with pacman, after 3 days it was 1.017....mashed at 156....the yeast is a beast I tell you.

I think this yeast is the ultimate ale homebrewer weapon.......nice job More Hops Mayer.

Back