Repurpose 20# CO2 Fire Extinguisher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
Hey HBT, I've got an interesting one for you. I just got the opportunity to pick up a 20# CO2 fire extinguisher for free. It's still partially charged, it came fully charged but I had to mess around with it some :D.

While trying to decide what to do with it a few thoughts came to mind. Essentially it's a red 20# CO2 tank with a different valve assembly right? It was hydro'd in '15 so I think it's still in good shape, original hydro was' 98. I've seen a lot of valves for CO2 tanks online for around $30. If I can get a functioning 20# CO2 tank for $50 ($30 valve, $20 new hydro) that'd be pretty sweet.

Before I potentially confuse the heck out of the local fire extinguisher shop guy, can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work?

Hey HBT, I've got an interesting one for you. I just got the opportunity to pick up a 20# CO2 fire extinguisher for free.
Before I potentially confuse the heck out of the local fire extinguisher shop guy, can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work?

Unlike a CO2 tank for beverages, fire extinguishers dispense CO2 from the bottom so as to get liquid CO2 coming out. Great for a fire, not so good for your regulator. That tube will need to be removed.

CO2-type-portable-fire-extinguisher.PNG

damn, I thought you were planning on turning it into a turbo beer dispensing weapon of awesome... some kind of drunken Marvel hero.
oh well

Unlike a CO2 tank for beverages, fire extinguishers dispense CO2 from the bottom so as to get liquid CO2 coming out. Great for a fire, not so good for your regulator. That tube will need to be removed.
Thanks, I had read that as well. I'll probably go ahead and disassemble the tank (after relieving all the pressure) and see what I'm working with. Worst case I'll just give it to the extinguisher place when I get my other tanks filled.

You also might not be able to get it filled once altered.
Good thought, I'm not out anything if it doesn't work out so I'm more inclined to give it a shot. I'll stop by the local place and see that they think. I'll hold off on ordering a valve until I speak to them.

I wonder what would happen if you just took it to the co2 place and asked them if thou could swap it for one to use with beer.

If it doesn't work out, remove the valve stem and you can scrap the steel (after you relieve the pressure of course)

Take it to a fire extinguisher shop and see if they'll change the valve and remove the dip tube. The one I used to work would.

Take it to a fire extinguisher shop and see if they'll change the valve and remove the dip tube. The one I used to work would.
Yeah most service shops won't especially if it'll mess with their shop quotas. Easy enough to do on your own but will likely limit your ability to fill your tank, as most places do exchanges only in order to do all their filling in one fell swoop - and I highly doubt they'll allow an exchange with a macgyvered cylinder haha.

There is no reason that this can't work but I still would recommend a beverage/food grade cylinder and gas for use with beer. The machining oils and greases used are different for these applications and from what I remember somebody telling me they can cause some off flavours. So if you do proceed try to clean inside as much as possible!

Happy modding haha

I think the tank and regulator are the sole homebrew items that should avoid diy tinkering. Once pressure is down from 800psi to 12, go crazy.

I got a 20# cylinder for $40 on craigslist.

The LHBS I part time at gets CO2 cylinders from a fire safety company that re-purposes them from old fire extinguishers. You can certainly swap out the valve and you should be able to get it re-filled. You might need to get a CO2 sticker for the tank like this or the gas company may not fill it. If a regular gas company wont fill it a fire safety place might. Around here General Fire and Safety will fill them on-demand, and they are the cheapest as well.

Edit, just realized I am replying to a nearly year old thread. Sorry

Edit, just realized I am replying to a nearly year old thread. Sorry
What year are you living in?

That said, our LHBS was supplying converted fire extinguishers for a few years until their supplier ran out of fire extinguishers to convert. Up until then he also did swaps. I now have to go to the fire extinguisher company for refills.
co2-5lb_1.png

I wonder what would happen if you just took it to the co2 place and asked them if thou could swap it for one to use with beer.

Somebody liked this, so I got a notification. I probably should proofread when I post from my phone so people don't think I'm even older than I am. I meant to type "you" not "thou" (but maybe that's why jako liked it).

Back